22x6' wall – 6" block or 4" block with peers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to get a wall built ans eventually rendered - 22ft long, std 6ft high. it's not a load bearing wall, literally just needs to stop a sliding electric gate (on wheels on a track) from toppling over - there will be a wheel mounted at the top and the same on the other side of the gate but attached to a fence post of the existing fence, so in effect, the gate will slide back between the fence and the wall.

I've had 2 builders look at the job. I must also point out that founds will be only 12" as there is soil & water pipes & an electric cable running directly beneath where the wall will be.

1 builder says 4" block with peers at each end, the 2nd one says no way, it'll wobble and crack - 6" block all the way thru, ie. no peers required (which will actually save me 2" of space).

What do I do???

Thanks for any advice

Dean

Sponsored Links
If its outside the wind will also play a part, taking the word of a builder be it in person or off a forum (no disrespect my fellow posters) would be IMO not a wise decision, an engineer would maybe charge you an hour of his time for the right advice. I'm not saying any of your builders are wrong but it seems a bit of a risk to me.

if you are building any wall of any length of that height you need peers evenly spaced along the length of the wall and with you mounting such a gate I would say you need 6" block with peers every 5.5 ft apart , and is the Electric cable armoured cable that you have running under and running seperatley from the water

Sponsored Links
for a start, no sane man would contact a structural engineer over a 22ft by 6ft wall. find a recommended local bricklayer / builder, there advice will be more than suffciant. i would suggest 6inch block and pillars. i would not use 4inch on a single skin freestanding wall. if the location is sheletered you may be able to use smaller or fewer pillars.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back