240 v light in shower room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to put a 240 v Mirror with a light in a shower room. The mirror will be above a sink and within 1.5metres of the shower which has a fixed outlet. Whole house is protected via a crabtree cu with 30m/A main RCD.
Any advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
chicd4 said:
Any advice would be appreciated
Be careful.

Comply with Part P.

Isolate a circuit before working on it.

Wear rubber-soled shoes.

Be kind to your mother.

Or did you have more specific advice in mind? :evil:

Sponsored Links
Lots of things are that shouldn't be and aren't that should be. Are you suggesting I change the whole cu for a mirror in the bathroom. CU was aquired with the house so I find your advice a bit drastic.

chicd4 said:
Lots of things are that shouldn't be and aren't that should be.
Well that's a very sound existentialist reminder of our reality, but you can hardly expect experts on the forum not to tell you when something is wrong.

Are you suggesting I change the whole cu for a mirror in the bathroom.
I believe that sm1thson was pointing out that it's unwise for all of the circuits in a household to be protected by the RCD.

It's more normal, for specific reasons that you might or might not be interested in, to put the kitchen sockets, downstairs sockets, and an electric shower circuit (if it exists) on the RCD side, with lighting and dedicated high-load circuits (such as cooker and immersion heater) on the non-RCD side. Oh, and the freezer on the latter.

CU was aquired with the house so I find your advice a bit drastic.
It's only drastic if your installation is drastically wrong, and you can hardly blame anyone here for that.

dont mean to be picky but unless you know your incoming earthing arrangement ie is it a tt then it is acceptable to have everything on an rcd

Er yes, good point. I was carried away with interpreting sm1thson's post. :oops:

no probs softus, but i was just thinking, if the house is protected by a 3oma rcd and it is a tt system should really be a 100ma rcd for lighting and 30 for the sockets,

Or have two RCDs.

Kitchen sockets on one and kitchen lights on the other. Then when the kettle tips boiling water over you and the socket trips out you still have lights to find the ice cubes.

pdenni said:
no probs softus, but i was just thinking, if the house is protected by a 3oma rcd and it is a tt system should really be a 100ma rcd for lighting and 30 for the sockets,
For what it's worth, I concur.

bernardgreen said:
Or have two RCDs.

Kitchen sockets on one and kitchen lights on the other. Then when the kettle tips boiling water over you and the socket trips out you still have lights to find the ice cubes.
Shirley that makes the prospect of nuisance tripping on the lighting circuit even more of a nuisance? :confused:

good point then when the whole lot trips you have another switch that fires up the generator so you can watch the telly :LOL:

That would be incredibly stupid and pointless.

If the circuit has tripped there is a fault.

Energising it from an aletrnative supply will only liven up the incomming side of the RCD and the circuit will still remain dead

rf lighting

please note the laughing symbol at the end of my post not intended as a serious comment. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back