24V LED strips with 3014 LEDs

BAS - what are you planning on doing with them?
In my office at home I have a shelf about 95cm above the desk, and I want to try out an LED strip underneath it, at the front, as task lighting. Currently I'm using 4 tilt/swivel R50 lights, but I want something smaller and cooler running and more efficient.

Sponsored Links
As there have been a few people posting about LED strips recently, I thought I'd bump this.

its a very simple set up as in leds wire and crock clips no electronics other than the leds
The first one appears to be 9 LED elements assembled into a module. It is possible ( probable ) that those multi-element lamps have current control circuitry in the assembly. In which case the supply voltage is not critical in terms of setting current through the LED elements but is limited by the dissapation of the excess heat generated by excess voltage.

yes they are 9 segments i have an identical one that is wired in full series and runs on 28-36v
unlike the 3 in series 3 in parallel 9-12v set up
incidentally i took a blown one apart and it actually consists off plastic front with coloured hard gell type section
and the back which is the leds printed on the solid back
the power contacts are moulded into the plastic cover

its a very simple set up as in leds wire and crock clips no electronics other than the leds
The first one appears to be 9 LED elements assembled into a module. It is possible ( probable ) that those multi-element lamps have current control circuitry in the assembly. In which case the supply voltage is not critical in terms of setting current through the LED elements but is limited by the dissapation of the excess heat generated by excess voltage.

yes they are 9 segments i have an identical one that is wired in full series and runs on 28-36v
unlike the 3 in series 3 in parallel 9-12v set up
incidentally i took a blown one apart and it actually consists off plastic front with coloured hard gell type section
and the back which is the leds printed on the solid back
the power contacts are moulded into the plastic cover
OK guys, thank you for your contributions, but I'll hang on until someone replies who has actually bothered to read the topic title properly:

24V LED strips with 3014 LEDs

this sort
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5x-10W-Wa..._Supplies_ET&var=&hash=item5aec0ffe54[/QUOTE]
That is not an LED strip. And may or may not be a 3014 device - it doesn't say.

and this sort
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Pcs-1W...nents_Supplies_ET&hash=item45fa191688[/QUOTE]

and this sort
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3X-LED-Li...pt=UK_Light_Bulbs&hash=item23291b3000[/QUOTE]

OK - I get that you have no idea about the answer to my question - that's fair enough, neither do I, which is why I asked it.

But if you don't, maybe it would be best to keep quiet, rather than posting stuff which is of no relevance or use whatsoever?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
ok bas its gone off on a bit off a tangent sorry for that
not really sure what the problem is if its not helping you just ignore it ;)
it may be useful to someone else if not its only me that has wasted my time typing then ;)

There's no problem.

There is just this question:

Anybody have any experience of 24V LED strips with 3014 LEDs and how they compare to 3528 or 5050 based products?

ok bas my brother has 50 50s at least i will ask him
also my electrician freind has strips in his van i will ask what he has
but may be a few days as he owes me a bottle off whisky and he is a tight sod :D

There is just this question:

Anybody have any experience of 24V LED strips with 3014 LEDs and how they compare to 3528 or 5050 based products?
No, but ...

You can look up the specs, and assuming they are a similar colour temperature (actually spectrum as they don't give "broadband" white light) is similar then you can directly compare the lumens/LED - and then work out the lumens/m taking into account how many LEDs there are. As a first approximation, you can directly compare the W/m of the different strips. It's not quite accurate as the power lost in the series resistor doesn't make light - and that's going to differ between 12V and 24V strips.

It really doesn't matter (light wise) whether the assembly is 12V or 24V - that just determines how many LEDs in a group. Typically you'll find 3 LEDs per group for 12V, and 5 LEDs per group for 24V (dunno why they didn't use 6 - at least in the strips I've seen). In both cases the LEDs will be in series, with a current limiting resistor - or less common, a small regulator chip. The ones with a regulator chip tend to state that they are regulated, or give an operating voltage range.

If you want to dim them (BAS - take note here !), then that is best done by controlling the current. The brightness is not that linear with voltage - but it is near enough linear with current. But where LEDs are used built into stuff with a dimming function, that's more often done by PWM* - and most LED driver ICs have a PWM dimmer function. Also, most "quality" LED setups are current controlled - at least one of the assemblies someone posted a link to stated it was 350mA. That means it's designed to have 350mA through it, and the voltage will be what you happen to get (which varies with temperature amongst other things). Never ever try to drive a "naked" LED from a voltage source - the current will be nearly uncontrollable and you'll destroy it unless the power supply is too limited in current. It is vital to understand what you are buying :rolleyes: Just because (as in the case of the aforementioned module) it gives an operating voltage range (eg 34 to 36V), that does not necessarily mean that you can control it with a voltage source.

A DIY way to do it with the 12V stick on strips is to have a power supply with a variable current limit. Set the max voltage to 12V (so you can't overdo it and blow the LEDs, and then vary the current limit between zero and whatever the length of strip you use pulls at 12V. While I was experimenting at work, I just used a bench power supply set to 12V and fiddled with the current limit.

* Pulse Width Modulation. The power is either on or off - but the duty cycle is varied. If it's one for 25 of the time and off for 75%, then the output will be 25%.
As an aside, one of the reasons for using PWM is that colour varies with current - so dimming by varying current can cause colour changes. Since PWM drives are always either 100% (full power, so one colour) or 0% (off, no not making light), that means you get consistent colour while dimming.

Tell him that the debt has now grown to a bottle of cask strength Laphroaig :LOL:
Good god, you don't drink Jeyes Fluid do you :eek: A colleague introduced some of us to it at his leaving do.

As an aside his partner told us he had a habit of getting a round in, then asking her to hold the glass while he popped of to the gents. She said it was a while before she twigged - it was so the smell from the Laphroaig would put off any blokes who might try and make a pass at her :rolleyes: Mind you, I can understand his concern, given her looks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back