252warks

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Hi all, I have a protek 63amp 30mA RCD that seems to be too sensitive ie tripping when a bulb blows etc which is annoying as we have to reset heating controls miss tv recordings let alone alarm calls???

Would changing the RCD help if so which one would changing to the 100mA protek help??
That's what they do. It shows it is working properly.

It is a nuisance but the only cure is to put the lights on a dedicated RCBO.
Depending on how your consumer unit is configured it could be quite a job.
Indeed the boiler may be on the lighting circuit so even more work.

No you cannot have a 100mA RCD. That would defeat the object.

Sponsored Links
...'generates' is a good word for it.

Not necessarily an earth fault but can trip RCDs and/or MCBs.

I think the RCD has moved on. I have posted this link before and it details how the modern RCD is able to hold in with spikes.

There is also the auto resetting RCD
which although expensive does address the problems of unattended and other situations where the occupants can't re-set the RCD.

The problem with losing clocks and recording information has also been redressed and my Sky box of course can't record when there is no power but it does remember what was programmed in and will still auto record on next event.

Using cheap and/or old technology equipment there is a problem. But over last 10 years I think every alarm clock has battery back-up.

The problem as I see it is 314.1 Every installation shall be divided into circuits, as necessary, to:
(iv) reduce the possibility of unwanted tripping of RCDs due to excessive protective conductor currents produced

It is very easy to write the regulation but in real terms as electricians we have no idea of what the house holder will plug in. So we consider that two RCD's will allow a 15ma leakage on each circuit which we consider ample. Then we find the house full of IT equipment and each item is leaking just a little bit so the trips are right on the edge.

In a commercial situation we change the RCD for an Isolator and fit RCBO's it costs maybe £100 but that is nothing in the grand scheme of things. No Part P to worry about we just get on and do it.

However in the Domestic even though the occupant is working from home and doing exactly the same as in the commercial situation there are two extra problems.
1) The work is paid for out of a private guys pocket who is not gaining from the money he has to pay out.
2) The LABC want their cut from the work done so that £100 becomes £200 for exactly the same job.

So in the domestic the occupier is looking to move the blame and cost of up-grade. He reads that the regulations say it should be designed not to trip and wants the electrician to return and correct it FOC.

So if an electrician has fitted just one RCD to cover whole house we would say fair enough he should have fitted two. But when two are fitted who's fault is it that it is tripping? Even with one RCD in a flat no bigger than a caravan should we really be blaming the designer who did the job with hands tied behind his back not having a clue what equipment will be installed?

As to heating controls again likely battery is dead or very old. I have needed to renew batteries in the past in both heating controls and intruder alarms in both cases the owner seems to think they will last for ever.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your replies and accept my apologies this is the first time I have used DIYnot so not sure how to start threads let alone etiquette.

Would changing to a 100mA trip allow for less sensitive tripping or is an additional trip or one of the Moeller digital ones a better bet?

Your best and safest option is to get an experienced electrician ( experienced at fault finding rather than just installing cables and components ) to investigate and find the reason for the RCD tripping.

A lamp blowing can create a short duration over current which will trip the MCB ( current limit safety device ) but this over current should NOT trip the RCD as there is no un-balance between the currents in Live and Neutral through the RCD sensor. There has to be something else, an earth-neutral fault is the most likely fault that together with an over current could trip the RCD

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back