2nd installation question of the day...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Connecting 20mm steel conduit to galvanised back-boxes - preferences sought, and if you want to add reasons why, please do.

□ Female bush and locknut/lockring.

□ Male bush and coupler.

□ Other.

Sponsored Links
I'd go with male bush and coupling.

It takes up less room in the box.

Having a female bush in the box could prevent an accessory from fitting back properly, if for example you were using a grid frame or similar.

Why would you use a male bush and coupling if you can get a female bush? :confused: The other option would be to dispense with the bush altogether and put the end of the conduit straight into the hole with nuts inside and out.

Sponsored Links
The other option would be to dispense with the bush altogether and put the end of the conduit straight into the hole with nuts inside and out.
Wouldn't that leave the cables at risk of chafing against the cut end of the conduit, unless you spent a lot of time dressing it?

BAS said:
unless you spent a lot of time dressing it

That's something I would always do anyway. I hate leaving burrs on the ends of any kind of tubing, whether it's conduit or water pipe or even plastic drain. On the other hand, when time is money --

OK. I give up; you win! :oops:

We tend to use top hats (AKA flanged couplings), lead washers and male bushes when connecting to metal clad accessories, I take it you are talking of flush back boxes? It should be possible however you may need deeper boxes.

□ Female bush and locknut/lockring.

□ Male bush and coupler.

Haven't you got male/female mixed up in your descriptions bas? The locknut goes on a male coupling, bush goes on the female coupling.

I don't think he has - female bush is one of these:
CO20FBB.JPG

(I kept a straight face - honest!)
I think he means use the thread on the end of the conduit for both the locknut and bush, sandwiching the backbox metal between the two.
I have seen that method used before - had to do it myself not long back owing to not being able to buy 1,1/2" conduit fittings and that's all I had which would fit :( .

Ah, I'm thinking of plastic conduit. doh!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back