2rates of electricity - how can you tell which one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a storage heater wired into a switch fused connection unit (looks like a spur as only 1 black 1 red 1 earth)
I can hear it clicking on and off during the hours of cheap electricity.

Next to that unit, the builders have installed another outlet covered by a fcu - I want to know if that is on the cheap electricity meter - how can I find out?

The MCB is split into 2, with the cheap rate heavy appliances in one box and the normal ring circuits and light circuits in another box.

Thanks.
SF

Sponsored Links
Next to that unit, the builders have installed another outlet covered by a fcu - I want to know if that is on the cheap electricity meter - how can I find out?

The MCB is split into 2, with the cheap rate heavy appliances in one box and the normal ring circuits and light circuits in another box.

Thanks.
SF

You mean the CU is split into two, you have two consumer units, one which only works in cheap hours.

How about you plug a table light into the outlet, switch on the lamp during expensive electricity, and check it doesn't come on?

Or wire it in during the cheap hours of electricity, and see if it goes off when you switch off the cheap electricity CU (probably a better, more failsafe option, in case the bulb has failed, etc.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back