2way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Hope someone can help me while I still have hair left.
2 gang switch downstairs all works fine. 1 way hall and 2 way stairs
3 gang upstairs all works fine. 2x 1 way bathroom and loft and 1x 2 way stairs
If the 2 way is switched on from downstairs the stair light works fine but the bathroom won't work
If the 2 way is switched on from upstairs the stair light works and the bathroom works.
Had a rewire about 10 yrs ago and only just realised. Lol

Is this likely to be an easy fix or a big job ??

Many thanks for looking :)

Sponsored Links
Sounds like someone has changed the switches and mixed up strappers on the two way with the bathroom switchwire.

Does the loft light work OK, regardless of the landing light switch positions?

If it does, my guess -and it is only a guess - is a link between the common terminals for the bathroom and loft light switches has been connected to the hall light switch by mistake. If that is the case, it's a '10 minute fix'. If it isn't, there are numerous other possibilities of varying complexity.

Isolate the circuits, and prove dead before working on anything. Note that the switches may have multiple live feeds from diferent circuits.

Don't move any wiring around without making notes of all the existing wiring connected to the switches, so at least you can easily get back to where you started.

Should be an easy job to fix - Strappers are normally, but not always, three core cable probably red, blue and yellow.

They will occupy the Common, L1 and L2 on both two way switches.
Look at the wiki here:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:two_way_lighting

See if you can understand where you or whoever 'fixed' the switch in the first place have gone wrong.

Don't forget to turn the power off first.

Sponsored Links
Does the loft light work OK, regardless of the landing light switch positions?

If it does, my guess -and it is only a guess - is a link between the common terminals for the bathroom and loft light switches has been connected to the hall light switch by mistake. If that is the case, it's a '10 minute fix'. If it isn't, there are numerous other possibilities of varying complexity.

Isolate the circuits, and prove dead before working on anything. Note that the switches may have multiple live feeds from diferent circuits.

Don't move any wiring around without making notes of all the existing wiring connected to the switches, so at least you can easily get back to where you started.

Yes pal loft light works fine

So is it prob just the bridge wire connected wrong ?

Many thanks for the quick answers guys

Could you tell us what cables enter the three gang switch and how many conductors (and their colors) each cable contains.

Then could you tell us where each conductor is connected to at present.

thanks for your answers guys
sorted it now :D
the mrs reminded me id changed the switch a couple of years back and i must have got a couple of wires wrong :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back