3.3Kw oven

dc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: Dear all,

I have in place an electric oven (wattage unknown) that is plugged into a 13amp socket on the kitchen ring main. Just for information the hob is gas.

I have just bought a new Bosch electric oven(3.3Kw) and hob(6.6Kw). Now I know I am going to have to run a 6mm cable to the fuseboard for the hob but, can I "get away" with plugging the oven into the 13amp socket?: (3.3kw/230v = 14.34amps)

I only have one available fuse outlet on the board which will be for the oven and I would like to avoid commissioning work on the fuseboard!.....

......I guess I know what your answers are gonna be, but I'm asking anyways!! Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
:) Just a rethink on my posting earlier for anyone who might read my dilemma.

With the total rating of the oven(3.3Kw/230v=14.34amps) and the hob (6.6kw/230v=28.7amps) coming out at 43ish amps, can I wire both appliances into one isolating switch that has 6mm cable running back to a 45amp mcb?

Any howlers with the above scenario please advise!!

Thanks in advance.

Oh by the way, great forum and website diynot. My Collins DIY book will never have to see the light of day again!!

I would plug the oven into your socket outlet protected by a 13A fuse (got me cowboy hat on for this one...yeehaa) If it cant take it, the fuse will blow...then you know where you stand......

thanks for the reply il78. Still not sure which way to jump but the reply is much appreciated :confused:

Sponsored Links
dc said:
thanks for the reply il78. Still not sure which way to jump but the reply is much appreciated :confused:

I'd try that, if I were you.

The reason is that if you put oven + hob onto your 6mm cable you might overload it - 43A design current, 45A breaker, 40A rated cable :( .

Hob only - 29A design current, 32A breaker, 40A rated cable :)

If the oven blows the 13A fuse, try a new one that's less tired. Or get a dud one and solder a length of 15A fusewire across it. (il78's not the only one with a cowboy hat - I've got the chaps and spurs as well.)

Better still, as you say that you are going to run 6mm cable to the CU, run 10mm instead, or a separate 2.5 or 4mm for the oven.

But bestest, most favourite option; take that poxy electric hob back to the shop and stick with gas - by far and away much better for a hob than electric. What were you thinking of...

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply "ban-all-sheds", think i'm gonna try the oven with a 13 amp fuse.

Oh also, you don't really think I had any part whatsoever in the choice of appliance do you?! I just pay and do! :rolleyes:

Further to my posts above, the appliances did not come with flex. Can someone advise me where I can get 6.0mm flex for the hob and oven :confused: or should/can I use flat 6.0mm T&E to connect to the cooker switches?

Hob=6.6Kw
Oven=3.3Kw

Thanks in advance of any advice.

You don't need 6mm for either device - 4mm would be OK for the hob, and 2.5mm for the oven. In fact. if you look at current ratings, 1.5mm would do for the oven, but it just doesn't seem right, somehow. Daft, really.

But most importantly, what do the instructions say you should use? Do you, for example, have to use heat-resistant cable?

thanks very much again for your reply ban-all-sheds :D , I'll have to check the instructions, not sure if they mention heat resistance.

For my own cautious, tiny mind can you confirm that I can use 4 and 2.5mm T&E and its not necessary to use flex :?:

All other things being equal, 4mm cable is good for up to 32A, and 2.5mm for 24. Probably a couple of amps less if it's flex.

You really do need to refer to the instructions though, in case of heat requirements, or in case, for any reason, T/E is mechanically unsuitable.

I'd be concerned about how it might bend as you pushed the oven back into its recess.

thanks again ban-all-sheds,
checked the instructions and they state H05VV-F cable :confused: I guess that's flex :?: :?:

Appears to be, but I've no idea what the spec is.

Does it also tell you how many cores and what size?

dc said:
thanks again ban-all-sheds,
checked the instructions and they state H05VV-F cable :confused: I guess that's flex :?: :?:

it is flex, but take your pick as to what size it is from here

What worries me is that table only goes up to 1.5mm - fine for the 3.3kW oven, but nowhere near enough for a 6.6kW hob...

It does appear to be regular PVC flex, though, so if DC can find some in 4mm...

thanks guys,

:idea: I'm about to order from http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/

4.0mm 3183TQ 3 core Butyl Flex Black, rating=35amps, for the hob &

2.5mm 3 core butyl, rating=25amps, for the oven.

Does this sound o.k. :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back