3/4 inch gap between tap end of bath and wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am resealing my bath for the third time. On the first occasion I found that a wooden baton was placed between the gap and tiled over. I have continued to do this and covered the baton with narrow tiles. I have bought new tiles for this and stripped the piece of wood. (I do not have a wood sealer this time and funds are scarce) My question is, 1, is there another way for me to seal the gap without using the wood, and 2, can I grout the corner space between the bath/wall to prevent me from having to reseal the entire bath in future?

Exremely grateful for your help. Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
I am resealing my bath for the third time. On the first occasion I found that a wooden baton was placed between the gap and tiled over. I have continued to do this and covered the baton with narrow tiles. I have bought new tiles for this and stripped the piece of wood. (I do not have a wood sealer this time and funds are scarce) My question is, 1, is there another way for me to seal the gap without using the wood, and 2, can I grout the corner space between the bath/wall to prevent me from having to reseal the entire bath in future?

Exremely grateful for your help. Thank you in advance

1, make a frame to fit between bath and wall, screw the fame to the wall and floor if possible

2 cover the top of the frame with silicone ( no wood to be shown) and fix tiles into silicon

3, DO NOT use grout in the corner space between bath and wall, your tiles should run the width of your bath, then just run a bead of silicon around between bath edge and edge of tiles, then between the edge of the wall tiles and the edge of the tiles on your frame, then run silicon down your corner = watertight seal

This is really great advice but the bath is already in position and I can't make any changes. Two sides of the bath are against tile and I have to wedge a baton between the space at one end of the bath. So I'll lay the tiles onto the wood with silicone as you advise. Do you foresee any possible problems for me and how long should I wait before using the shower? Thank you so much

This is really great advice but the bath is already in position and I can't make any changes. Two sides of the bath are against tile and I have to wedge a baton between the space at one end of the bath. So I'll lay the tiles onto the wood with silicone as you advise. Do you foresee any possible problems for me and how long should I wait before using the shower? Thank you so much

Can you not make a frame up, the width x height of the bath, wedge it in place then screw to the floor and possibly the tap wall, even with just 1 screw ?

I would honestly wait overnight, or at least a good 5-6 hours to let the silicon cure BUT use a good silicon, NOT a cheap variety and then you should`nt have any problems.

The problem you WERE having was most likely because your wood was just wedged in place, so everytime the bath moved ( although just slightly) when full of water plus body weight, then as the bath is emptying the wood would move with the bath. Thats why i suggested fixing it to floor and wall.
Hope this helps

Jimmy

Sponsored Links
Jimmy,

I can't thank you enough. I started this project 2 weeks ago and was frankly fed-up and itching to just ram that batten back in there and get it over with. Why the original installer didn't make a frame in the first place is beyond me but it will be done now. Simple - when you know how!

Thank you very much.

Regards
Michelle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back