3 bulb pedant to single pendant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have two 3-bulb pendant lights in the living room that I want to replace with single pendants. I don\\\'t want to go messing about up there without knowing what to expect, so can anyone advise:
a) what the wiring configuration is likely to be - will there be wires for each bulb, or a single wiring group with the distribution done by the pendant itself? If there are separate sets of wires for each bulb, are these easy to convert to fit a single pendant or is this a job for an electrician?
b) the existing pendant is fixed by a gold ceiling rose & chain - I\\\'d like to remove all this but there are no obvious screws fixing it to the ceiling. How is it likely to be fixed, and what\\\'s the best way to remove it, without bringing the ceiling down?!

Sponsored Links
kathyq said:
a) what the wiring configuration is likely to be - will there be wires for each bulb, or a single wiring group with the distribution done by the pendant itself? If there are separate sets of wires for each bulb, are these easy to convert to fit a single pendant or is this a job for an electrician?
There is only likely going to be one set of wires from the light fitting (1L, 1N and 1 / 2Earths) providing you are talking of the same light fitting as below. There are different ways that the light can be wired into the fixed wiring, you will need to check how many wires/cables there are above the fitting first. Sometimes there is a black switch wire in the rose which need to be identified, if connected to neutral it will cause the fuse to blow. There are diagrams in the Sticky section at the top of the Electrics UK forum which may be of help.
b) the existing pendant is fixed by a gold ceiling rose & chain - I\\\'d like to remove all this but there are no obvious screws fixing it to the ceiling. How is it likely to be fixed, and what\\\'s the best way to remove it, without bringing the ceiling down?!
You may need to unscrew the support which holds the chain to the rose allowing the rose cover to drop down. You may need to split the first link and remove it from the support to allow you to spin it. Be carefull as you will need to take the full weight of the light, remove glass shades and lamps 1st, turn the power off to the circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back