3-gang light switch acceptable in this situation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, first posting to this forum, so thanks in advance for any help.

Currently planning the lighting for a home cinema and I plan to have 3 seperate sets of lighting:

1) 4 halogen wall lights
2) 2-3 screen lights
3) Fible optic ceiling lights

For neatness I would like to be able to control these lights via a single 3-gang lightswitch.

1 & 2 seem fairly straightforward, but the fibre optics may be a problem.

The fibre optic light unit is fitted with a standard 13A plug (5A fuse). Would it be possible/acceptable to change this plug for a 5A round-pin plug and have the corrsponding socket controlled by the 3rd lightswitch?

thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
It will probably invalidate the warranty on the device, but apart from that it would be fine.

why not make a short 5A round pin plug to 13A trailing socket to use so that you don't need to chop the plug off? If it can be hidden behind the furnture or something out of the way you won't see it, and you won't void any warranties then....

Sponsored Links
1974stephen said:
why not make a short 5A round pin plug to 13A trailing socket to use so that you don't need to chop the plug off? If it can be hidden behind the furnture or something out of the way you won't see it, and you won't void any warranties then....
the only downside i can see to that setup is breaking the fuse discrimination regs albeit that the two fuses will be near to each other and accessible so not a problem to replace, more a technicality really. not a problem if plug top fuse and trailing socket fuse(if fitted)is smaller.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back