3 gang light switch wiring advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've recently moved into a house where the previous owner had 3 lights in the living room wired up to a 3-gang switch. The "big light" and one in each alcove.

Before leaving they removed the 3 gang switch and chopped the wires for the alcove lights, leaving just a 2-core wire and single gang switch for the big light.

I'm trying to re-wire the 2 alcove lights back in but can only get one side to work. I've popped some jumper wires onto the (previously cut) 3 core wire to the switch, which you can see to the right of the photo just to figure out how it should be wired.

The neutral wire works one of alcove lights, but I'm unsure how to wire the live/earth wires as it's unclear where they should go, I assume one of them should complete the circuit for the other alcove light?

I've attached images to show the switch and room!

Any advice appreciated!

Attachments

• 65841807875__F60BA915-B9EC-4989-9BAF-A0904C4775FE.jpg
    65841807875__F60BA915-B9EC-4989-9BAF-A0904C4775FE.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_1313.jpg
    IMG_1313.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 393
Sponsored Links
dont use earth colours for the link
Electric cannot tell what colour - but as a rule - green/yellow is earth
As you say Blue is neutral, but usually would have a brown sleeve to indicate Live (often used as the switched live - not always - depends on who wired )
there usually is NO neutral in switches (not always , but often they use the neutral colour as a switched live )

do you have a photo of just the centre light connected up and working, as was left

and what colour wires are left over for the alcove ?

I wonder why they did that , can understand if they took the alcove lights with them to some extent , and made safe

is the green/yellow connected back up to the metal wall box ?

do you have a multimeter and know how to use it
and then find the main Live wire - Live all the time
that you would link to the other 2 switches
and then put the Switched live into each switch section

see the triangle - thats each 2 way switch

a picture into the box , just to see the wires coming into the back box

Last edited:
I'll cut some proper cable once I understand how it should be, just had scraps lying round to make long enough to test

Yes, they took the lights with them and made safe, though I wish they'd hadn't to save me a job!
Photo of the centre light connections here, it's a bit of a jumble sorry!

In terms of the wall box, the wires are cut right up to behind it, so I've had to pop some jumpers on it at a very short length. It's red and black behind that.

In terms of the lights themselves, these are both red black and earth, single wires to each.

The red wire in the switch is the main live, and works the black (brown sleeved) wire for the main light.

The link works the left light, though if I try popping the brown wire (I naively assumed this would be for the right-hand side light) in place of the blue it trips the lights.

Attachments

• IMG_1317.jpg
    IMG_1317.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
sorry i meant the centre light on the switch
just how left and working - see edit to previous post

you may want to tidy up that centre light wiring at some point, with a proper box and connectors, rather than choc-blocks taped up

do you have a multi-meter / voltmeter ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have a multimeter yes, though not the most capable with it, I normally only use it for the car!
Attached is an image with the wiring as was for the centre light (ignore the earth jumper I've left in)

Attachments

• IMG_1319.jpg
    IMG_1319.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 258
Note - not a practicing electrician. so you may get advice to get a sparky in, as 240v can kill.

so the Red or the black with red sleeve should be a Live all the time , I suspect its the Red - But may NOT be

on the other cables - they are in connector blocks - is that just a twin cable with an earth ?
So that may not actually be connected to an Earth on the circuit and just go to the wall lights - so measuring with a voltmeter may nolonger be an option anyway

I have a multimeter yes, though not the most capable with it, I normally only use it for the car!
Ok, so 12V DC then. or continuity checking

Well you are playing with 240V now - which may hurt or kill you.

it should have a AC range maybe 200/750V on it - have a photo of the multimeter
and cables

you may have an sparky answer the post here,
But the centre light itself wiring looks damaged or burnt ?

Yep, this is pretty much the end of my comfort zone wiring wise, hence seeking advice!
Yep, those are just twin and earth, there are earth cables at the lights, though I can't see anywhere where these connect.
Wires don't appear to be burnt, looks like years of dirt, filler and sticky residue from tape.

I've got the multimeter below, as you say I've only used for continuity checking/resistance.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-ac-dc-digital-multimeter-600v/75337

I can add another link wire to 3rd switch, though I don't think that solves the issue as the remaining wire linked up throws the fusebox when turning the switch on.

How many wires (individual wires; not cables) do you have at the two alcove lights?

If there is only a Brown and Blue (+Earth) at each position, then there must be a junction box somewhere.

If there are more at one or both position, then they will need connecting in a specific way, so post pictures before you connect any.

Just to say EFLImpudence that diagram you sent over did the trick without the need to mess with any of the other lights, massive thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back