Light switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a two way light switch in my lounge which turns the main ceiling light on in the room and also a wall light in an alcove. Want to have a separate switch for the alcove light so that it can be used independently. I have had a look at the wiring and have bought a double switch but I can't figure out what goes where. Can anybody help please?

Sponsored Links
It is more likely linked light to light and one back to the switch, rather than both individually back to the switch.

You may be lucky, you may not be. It depends how many wires are behind the existing switch, and how they are connected.

If there are only two wires then it's :cry:

If there are more than that, you may have a chance, but still no guarantees......

Sponsored Links
You may be lucky, you may not be. It depends how many wires are behind the existing switch, and how they are connected.

If there are only two wires then it's :cry:

If there are more than that, you may have a chance, but still no guarantees......
It's a 2-way switch, so there could be a bunch of strappers and still no chance of doing what the OP wants.

Frizzie - also post a picture and/or details of what's at the other switch...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back