3 millibar leak from Worcester 35CDI Combi Boiler, sounds expensive

Turned out the boiler had never been serviced in 9yrs even though the previous owner had paid for the work. I got a boiler engineer in who was a friend of a friend and he started looking at it and found it was blocked, the gas valve was leaking and the fan was faulty. All sorted now and running well.

Sponsored Links
There's more to this post than has been described, makes me wonder why I bother coughing up the expense of being registered anymore...blind leading the blind?

I got a boiler engineer in who was a friend of a friend and he started looking at it and found it was blocked, the gas valve was leaking and the fan was faulty. All sorted now and running well.

So a new gas valve and a new fan?

So what was the cost of those replacement parts?

I have the receipt somewhere but from memory I think the value was around 120 and the fan was a but more. The valve was a bit tricky because the one that was on there originally was not available as it had beeb superseded with a new version and the pipes were a bit different.

If I had realised all the issues with it I would have called WB straight in as I believe they do a fix cost repair service. It took the engineer several visits to fix it. Once the valve was fixed it all looked good but then the fan started making strange sounds now and again when he was testing it. He also spent some time generally cleaning it all out. At one point he said look at this and a whole lot of slime and dirt came out of the water case (not sure what the unit was called). That was then he started mentioning that the boiler had never been serviced properly.

Oh one final point he found that whoever had looked at the boiler in the past had messed around with the unit that lets the gas mixture been changed. They appears to have tried to use a small philips screwdriver or something as the plastic looked like it had been butchered.

Sponsored Links
Surely there was a 3.5mb drop, he isolated the boiler and then there was a 0.5mb drop? but didnt have the appliance qualification to work on the boiler. In theory acceptable with no smell of gas but glad you got it sorted.
If it was a 3 mb pressure drop across the pipework it wont affect the operation of the boiler so would have been classed as 'not to current standards' last year but this is a non existent criteria any more so wouldnt be anything other than possibly a mention.

Oh I have to be honest I don't know. The boiler was fixed a few weeks ago now and at the time with everything else going on such as roof leaks and window issues it was just good to get it fixed. Basically a heating engineer who is a friend of my father found the issue when installing a new rad and properly blocking off the end of an old gas pipe. He took a very quick look but said a boiler engineer needed to take a look. He knew someone he rated who then took over the work and found the various issues and and he said got it back to A1 condition and I am now on a yearly service contract.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back