3 Phase Machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
one of our friends has an industrial unit that he works out of for his joinery business and he has just got a new 3 phase planer. It has come wired in SY cable with a 16A 3 phase red plug on. Does he need to use the plug or can it be taken off and the cable be terminated directly in to a 3 phase isolater?

There are no instructions with the machine as it was used when bought.

Sponsored Links
Yes, the plug can be dismissed, they are often connected into the isolater, though the mcb/ fuse rating feeding the isolater needs to be the right rating to protect the planer.
However poking around in 3 phase isolaters can kill you and not for a novice.
Note the colours and the plug markings if you remove it, usually L1 L2 L3 and N and E on the plug.
Sy cable tends to like black cores with numbers 1 to 4 stamped on them
care should be taken when connecting to get correct rotation of the machine too.
Also if the machine needs 3 phase and neutral, check there is actually a neutral at the isolater, quite often older installs just had the 3 phase wires

Thanks for your reply. I won't be doing the work it was just a question. The wires are all black and numbered 1,2,3 I presume that's for phase identification but I'd have to check. Am I correct in thinking that the fuse rating is to protect the cable and not the machine?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back