32amp single phase blue plug machine 3 phase red supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Please can anyone help. I have an ice cream machine that runs on a single phase 32 amp 3 pin blue plug. I need to connect it to a wall outlet that has a 5 pin hole red plug that is 3 phase. I have tried just putting the 3 wires of the ice cream machine into 3 of the 5 holes of a red 3 phase plug so I can connect to the supply in the wall but the ice cream machine keeps cutting out when it gets busy. Is it possible if so how. Thankyou Cath

Sponsored Links
Saw exactly this situation in an ice cream factory laboratory when a development system was being installed. ( development of new ice cream products ).

It was solved rapidly by using a 440 volt to 230 volt transformer fed by two phases to produce an isolated single phase supply with the necessary current capacity.

Not cheap and not mobile but effective, no recollection of how the protection of the 230 v supply was achieved.

Sponsored Links
Hi Please can anyone help. I have an ice cream machine that runs on a single phase 32 amp 3 pin blue plug. I need to connect it to a wall outlet that has a 5 pin hole red plug that is 3 phase. I have tried just putting the 3 wires of the ice cream machine into 3 of the 5 holes of a red 3 phase plug
Nothing wrong with that per-se as long as you connected it to ONE of the lives* a neutral and an earth, you wired it securely and the overcurrent protection is appropriate for the appliance.

What are the ratings of the machine?

Were the old and new plugs the same current rating?

but the ice cream machine keeps cutting out when it gets busy. Is it possible if so how. Thankyou Cath
What exactly do you mean by "cutting out"? does the machine just stop working? does a protective device somewhere trip?

When you say "when it gets busy" do you mean when the place as a whole gets busy or do you mean when that particular machine is busy?

If it is just cutting out without tripping anything and it's happening when the whole place is busy then my suspicion is that cables in distribution circuits and possiblly also in the final circuit feeding the socket are too thin leading to excessive volt drop. You really need to get an electrician to inspect and test the fixed wiring.

If it's happening when that machine is busy but the rest of the place is quiet then either the cables in the final circuit feeding the socket are too thin or the machine itself is faulty.

*REMEMBER IN A THREE PHASE SYSTEM THERE IS 415V BETWEEN THE LIVES SO DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ATTEMPT TO CONNECT THEM TO EACH OTHER.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back