3 phase to single

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to find out for a mate about getting 240v from a 3 phase genny he has bought. We have found the following, but very little else most of the info on a Google search is about getting 3 phase from single.

http://www.hss.com/g/40823/3_Phase_Converter_Box.html

Cany anyone shed any light on this option?? or where such a box can be bought should it prove to be the best option.

Sponsored Links
that is just a socket / trailing lead that plugs into a genny.

you need a neutral, but it would not be advisable to play with a geny

Sponsored Links
whats the outlet socket(s)? a red 32A 3P+N+E ceeform?

also what do you plan to use the generator for?

A 3 phase genny will have 3 lives, and a neutral.

Between any phase and neutral will be 240v.

You would be extremely stupid to load a single phase without loading the other two. Damage will occur eventually, and the engine will not be happy.

You need to balance youe 240v loads evenly across the the three phases.

Where is the gen to be installed? Temporary or permenant? Loading? What type of equipment? Installed as a backup?

He lives fairly remotely with no mains so currently running from a single phase genny. He bought the 3 ph genny fairly cheaply hoping to use it for his house but obviously came accross the problem of unbalanced loading of the phases. Later this year he is having a wedding reception in the garden and was thinking of using the genny to supply the required power so is starting to see if it would bes feasable or maybe better to hire a fully silenced single phase genny.

theres no reason it can't be used. Just make sure you keep the load reasonablly balanced accross the phases.

also you should rod down the generators earth connection if you haven't already done so.

Finally note that 415V shocks can be a lot nastier than 240V ones.

but if you do use it amke sure the leads are marked differnt colours and that no one can plug an appliance into 2 differnt phases.

i am thinking along the lines of a dj / entertainer and their kit

Would you reccomend a hired/bought distribution box as I mentioned before or are these just 3 sockets that are each of the 3 phases to neutral on individual sockets or do they provide 3 outlets that are balanced across all the phases???

does the genny have a neutral?

it, your single phase wont work eithout one

i would not bother,and hire a genny, why? saftey first , insurance claim never

they are just 3 sockets connected to the 3 phases possiblly with an RCD or some overcurrent protection.

That particular one has a 16A 3 phase plug on it though i'd expect your mates generator to have the next size up (32A) and/or multiple outlets.

balancing is something you as the installation designer have to do. Its complicated by the fact that if you have outlets on different phases close together you need 415V warning notices. Also putting equipment thats connected together on different phases isn't always considered the best idea though i can't see how it would be terriblly dangerous. Its not nessacery or possible to get it pefect but the closer you get it the smoother the generator will run and the longer it will last.

Don't forget to use a split-load board off the genny with TD 100mA (min) as incomer.

Also, the regs require any outlets on different phases within arms reach (generally taken to be 2m) to be marked "WARNING 400V"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back