is it single or 3 phase

Reaction score
Country
United States
hello all,

i found a dishwasher(second hand) on ebay,the seller describing it as 3 phase.

but,from the picture of the actual dishwasher it shows 230v.
(1N/PE 230v-------50Hz------21A)

with output of 4kw

They describing it as follow "WAS CONNECTED TO 3 PHASE ELECTRICITY BUT CAN ALSO BE EASILY WIRED TO SINGLE PHASE, JUST BY REPLACING A COUPLE OF LINKS. HOWEVER IT MUST BE INSTALLED BY A COMPETENT PERSON.".

am I right to think they are wrong,since 3phase runs on higher voltage or is there a chance the machine is converted to 3 phase?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
The line - neutral and line - earth voltage of three phase is still 230 volt it's only the phase to phase voltage which is 400 volt.

Sometimes machines with heaters have options for heaters to be either spread across phases or connected to one. It's the motors which become a problem if three phase to run on single phase means use of special inverters and how expensive the inverter is depends on if the motor was wired star or delta. If wired star with 400 volt than can be swapped to delta 230 volt which means a cheaper inverter.

If single phase motors are used then swapping is easy. However 4kW will mean using a 20A supply so can't be simply plugged in to standard 13A.

Dish washers commonly can be run as three or single phase, depending on connections. For example, 30amp single phase, or 10amp per phase three phase.

Many also have the option to drop certain elements out completely, to reduce the load (although increase initial heat and recovery time).

Sponsored Links
If single phase motors are used then swapping is easy. However 4kW will mean using a 20A supply so can't be simply plugged in to standard 13A.

Am I be able to know from the sticker on the dishwasher?

johnW2 said:
is this an industrial dishwasher??
Yes, it's industrial one and I had the exact model before.

I wanted to buy it but I'm not sure whether it single phase ,or an easy one to convert to single phase.

Yes.
It's the one with link above.

I wasn't sure I able to put link , incase I break the rules.

I'm not sure why you put me through all that, rather that just linking directly to the eBay listing
The key point of the exercise is highlighted below.

screenshot_36.png

;)

I sympathise with that approach if/when people post questions here which could easily have been answered by Googling (or by looking at the forum's wiki), but why on earth should I do my own 'research' to find out the answer to a question which the OP could (and did) answer in one word? Maybe you have more time on your hands than I do.

Kind Regards, John

Thank you john for your replies,

Yes the same model .it was plugged to normal socket.
the socket started melting after a while. Then I swapped it to male/female 20a as a converter between the dishwasher socket and the 13a socket.

I don't know whether was right but it worked, it didn't get hot or melted.

Do you think this one is single phase?

Regards
Sam

Thank you john for your replies, Yes the same model .it was plugged to normal socket. ... the socket started melting after a while. Then I swapped it to male/female 20a as a converter between the dishwasher socket and the 13a socket. ... I don't know whether was right but it worked, it didn't get hot or melted.
If it takes 21A / 4kW, then it is not satisfactory or safe to power it from a 13A socket (the clue is in the difference between 13A and 21A :) ), regardless of whether there is any 'converter' in between.

Kind Regards, John

I sympathise with that approach if/when people post questions here which could easily have been answered by Googling (or by looking at the forum's wiki), but why on earth should I do my own 'research' to find out the answer to a question which the OP could (and did) answer in one word? Maybe you have more time on your hands than I do.

Kind Regards, John

Hi John

I've tried to google the answer to my question but i got different answers.

some showing to unplug a cable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6trQR5e4baU

some talking about converter
some talking about the motor and the heater as mentioned above.

if this what you meant by looking on google i did.

regards
Sam

Hi John ... I've tried to google the answer to my question but i got different answers. ... if this what you meant by looking on google i did.
Don't worry - neither BAS nor myself were in any way getting at you. For reasons presumably best known to himself, BAS seemed to think that I should have hunted down the eBay listing for the dishwasher to find out whether it was an industrial one, rather than simply asking you! I think he must be getting a bit bored today!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back