3 Pin Plug in the bathroom for a Waterpik

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, got a strange one but need a desperate fix.
I purchased a Waterpik WP100.

Unfortunately it comes fitted with a 3 pin plug the device is rated 230v 45W, unlike its less powerful counterparts made by Waterpik which are 2 pin 110v.

In my bathroom, i have the bath tub along the right, in the centre a basin with a window above it, on the left ahead of you the toilet with a a socket plate with 2 x 2pin shaver charger points.

Layout
bathroom.jpg

Right now, i stretch an extension lead into the bathroom to power the Waterpik, but because of the nature of the device, water tends to roll down your arm and ends up not in the basin and usually all around where the extension is.

What are my options about powering this device?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi guys, got a strange one but need a desperate fix.
I purchased a Waterpik WP100.

Unfortunately it comes fitted with a 3 pin plug the device is rated 230v

What are my options about powering this device?
Read the information:
Please note: This product requires mains power to operate and as such is not suitable for use in a UK bathroom.
So I assume you live in the UK, the manufacture state it is not suitabe for UK bathrooms, so use it elsewhere or replace it for something more suitable.

Oh yeah, i was still hoping to find away. Its pretty gross to floss at the kitchen sink (i am a bit anal at times).

Are there no options?

Sponsored Links
I did try to use it on a shaver plug adapter, but i suspect it doesnt give enough power to it.

(i am a bit anal at times).

Are there no options?

I'd say the best option is to be more anal about your electrical safety than where you perform your dental hygiene.

Its why i am looking for options :D

can you cut the mains plug off the waterpic and wire it into a FCU?

Whats an FCU?

(i am a bit anal at times)

I thought it goes in your mouth?

Andy

Lol i was asking for that, i tried not to use that word, but couldnt describe my OCD in a better way lol.

This has come up before there is a special rechargeable UK model.

Thats the first one i looked at, I also looked at the 2 pin version, but they are like trying to use a electric screw driver to drill a hole in stone. Its not quite powerful enough.

It would seem the Cordless Plus Water Flosser WP-450 is designed for bathroom use.

It states "Unplug after use" clearly with a fused connection unit (FCU) you can't unplug and UK rules say we must follow manufactures instructions so you would need to get a scheme member electrician willing to connect it up. Or pay the LABC over £100 if using that route.

I am rather surprised at the number of shops selling these units when clearly not designed for bathroom use. Now loo with a hand washbasin does not come under same rules as bathroom so you could use it in your loo if not part of bathroom.

Or you can use it if your bathroom is big enough to fit a socket 3 meters from the bath. So there will be some who can use it. So they can sell them.

It would seem the Cordless Plus Water Flosser WP-450 is designed for bathroom use.

It states "Unplug after use" clearly with a fused connection unit (FCU) you can't unplug and UK rules say we must follow manufactures instructions so you would need to get a scheme member electrician willing to connect it up. Or pay the LABC over £100 if using that route.

I am rather surprised at the number of shops selling these units when clearly not designed for bathroom use. Now loo with a hand washbasin does not come under same rules as bathroom so you could use it in your loo if not part of bathroom.

Or you can use it if your bathroom is big enough to fit a socket 3 meters from the bath. So there will be some who can use it. So they can sell them.

Mark thanks for that :D
I did check the wp-450, but its no where near as powerful also with having 2 adults that use it i like it working on cut through stone mode (higher water pressure).

Where as the mrs likes the gentle squirt.

I will have a look into the FCU thing.
As an alternative, could i extend the cable, drill a small hole into an adjoining bedroom and connect it there?|

I doubt that using a FCU or supplying from outside the bathroom, would make this safe, The MI says not suitable for UK bathrooms.
So your options are:
*floss elsewhere
*change unit for one that is suitable for UK bathrooms
*go live in another area of the world
*remove the bath from the room!
and those are just about all the sensible ideas you should be getting.

I doubt that using a FCU or supplying from outside the bathroom, would make this safe, The MI says not suitable for UK bathrooms.
So your options are:
*floss elsewhere
*change unit for one that is suitable for UK bathrooms
*go live in another area of the world
*remove the bath from the room!
and those are just about all the sensible ideas you should be getting.

Yes but the MI says not suitable because it uses mains electricity which is not really a valid reason, probably a catch all condition

What they say is it can't be powered from an isolation transformer shaver socket.

It is purely the fact that the Wiring Regulations have restrictions on BS 1363 sockets in bathrooms which make it unsuitable, not the fact that it uses electricity.

So a longer lead on the base unit would be one solution - take the power from a socket far enough away.

Another solution would be to get a 50-100VA 230V:230V isolating transformer, mount it in a suitable enclosure remote from the bathroom and use it to supply a plain (i.e. transformerless) shaver socket. OK - still non-compliant, as it wouldn't be a BS EN 61558-2-5 shaver unit, but it would be as safe.

Waterpik, I've recently bought an improved mains operated model suitable for use in a UK bathroom, it has a standard shaver plug on it, designed to run safely off an UK shaver socket - and it cleans just as well. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back