3 port valve - how much play in spindle?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Lot's of great, informative posts on here have inspired me to attempt to resolve a 3 port valve issue:

Siemens MA-V322C, 3 port valve, approx 9 yrs old.

Worked well for years, then buzzing noise started for a few months and eventually had to use the manual override lever on an ad-hoc basis (as many others appear to have done).

I've stripped the valve head/body away from the pipework and noticed the spindle only moves approx one eighth of a turn in either direction - is this normal?

Plan is to fit a replacement body/head - just wanted to check the 3 port pipework & spindle behaviour is normal, any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hello,
I've stripped the valve head/body away from the pipework and noticed the spindle only moves approx one eighth of a turn in either direction - is this normal?

Yes, they have very little 'play'. Just change the head.

Now, I dont want any thanks, but if you fancy selling me Chelsea for a bag of potatoes and 2 shillings Id be eternally grateful.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Another q.....

I see the 3 port valve as being three components:

Head (grey plastic box housing motor, with rachet cog visible)

Body (having manual override lever, microswitches, two or three springs)

Pipe work (T shape pipe junction containing valve spindle)

Am i correct in my understanding?

Do i need to replace the head only, or the Head and the body? (the body component can be unscrewed from the pipework).

Sponsored Links
pointless changing actuator,they can be just as expensive as a full new 3 port valve,it will probably end up passing in which case u would have to change whole valve,bite the bullit and fit a honeywell 3 port valve and u wont have anymore problems :)

thanks both for responding - will consider honywell next time.

I ordered and received what was described as a 'replacement actuator head' for this model of valve.

Only the grey plastic box containing a motor and visible cog has been supplied - have i ordered the wrong part? I expected to receieve the secondary component (microswitches, springs, lever etc) aswell!!! Have i been ripped off?

I had already stripped back to the pipework, in expectation :eek:

never changed a seimens actuator b4 2 be honest so couldnt answer ure question but actuators as a whole should come as a complete unit and normally u should just unscrew the old and fit new,like i said u are better off returning it and getting a honeywell,check to make sure the brass body of the valve hasnt seized up....this can cause the actuators to fail as well,again this would need a new complete valve :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back