3 sided hip roof for conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First post on this forum, though I have been reading and getting answers from it for some time.

I am building a conservatory with timber frame. I plan on using tile effect roofing sheets for this and want to do a 3 sided hip roof. I have calculated lengths and angles and done my research as far as construction goes, but I can not find any recommendations or formulas for working out the sizes of timber I would require.

the conservatory is only 10' x 11' (10' protrusion from the house). The height at the apex is 3' above the top of the conservatory walls and the roof material I hope to use weighs 4.5Kg per metre squared.

If anybody could tell me how to calculate the timber sizes required it would be much appreciated.

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks.

Its a shame as I was hoping to get away with 4x2 as I have loads of it, but I don't want it falling in, I will be off to wickes then.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks.

Its a shame as I was hoping to get away with 4x2 as I have loads of it, but I don't want it falling in, I will be off to wickes then.

Thanks.

If you have a lot, you could double it up on each rafter. And you could use singles down the hips, where the lengths are progressively shorter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back