3 way dimmer, with fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is is possible to use a 3way dimmer switch for a lighting fixture with a fan???
I have burnt out 2 switches already.

Sponsored Links
I guess you are telling me there is not a dimmer available to solve this?

No, i am saying that you can not use an ordainairy dimmer, unfortunately as you are in America i can not suggest an apropriate dimmer

Sponsored Links
First you must determine if you have one or two switch legs starting at the switch box and ending at the Fan/Light. (These wires are not the ones that came with the Fan/Light, these are part of the house wiring)

You will either have:
A.) 1 Black wire, 1 White wire, 1 Bare Copper wire
B.) 1 Black wire, 1 White wire, 1 Bare Copper wire, 1 Red wire
C.) 2 Black wires, 2 White wires, 2 Bare Copper wires

If your answer is "A" - Go to Your Local Home Depot and I would imagine Lowe's or equivalent store. Ask for help in the Fan/Light department. You want the @ $40.00 Dollar switch which will allow you control the Fan Speed and Dim the Lights using only one switch leg (14-2 w/ ground Romex). You will need to hard wire/connect a "Module", square in shape, to the fan it self and then hare wire/connect a special Switch in place of your existing switch. This is a remote switch that can fit into a single gang box or the space of one standard light switch. It uses a small battery in the switch typically a security battery. This is the only known switch that can both control the Fan and the Light seperately using only one switch leg.

If your answer is "B" or "C" You can go to the same stores and purchase and the same department and purchase a standard dual control switch for your Fan and Light. One of the Switch legs will connect to the Fan Speed control and the other Switch leg will control the Light Dimmer.

For additional fixes, contact www.smarthome.com and ask them about there X10 technology. They very well may have another quality fix that may even be more simple. I am calling them myself regarding a similar question and will respond back if I have time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back