3 way valve- switch on side, what setting ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys

The ch and hw seem to come on when he prog is set hw only, when set to ch only again it seems to be providing hw and not very much heat to rads.

On the picture below, what does the switch on the side do- it's possible that a towel caught on the arm and has moved it. Unfortunately I am unable to get a decent eyeball on it due to it's position.

1595.jpg

What position should the switch be ?

And how do I prove the valve has stuck or failed ?

Thank you for your time and thoughts. Rgds.

Sponsored Links
in hot water only mode the lever will be spring loaded to close, in mid or heating only positions the lever will be free moving.
all it is there for is to fix the valve mid position for filling up a system before energising the power.

if it is free moving when in hot water mode or no power being supplied then the ball has most likely stuck. you can hit the valve body carefully with a spanner or hammer this usually frees up a stuck one.

Guys

The ch and hw seem to come on when he prog is set hw only, when set to ch only again it seems to be providing hw and not very much heat to rads.
wouldn't say it's stuck.
if it was stuck in mid position calling for ch only wouldn't fire the boiler up.
more like the paddles knackered in the bottom of the valve.
On the picture below, what does the switch on the side do-
it's a way of opening the valve to mid position when draining or filling system.
[it's possible that a towel caught on the arm and has moved it.
not to lock it in manual mid position i wouldn't of said.

What position should the switch be ?
auto.
lever has resistance when hw called for.
lever is floppy when ch is called for.
And how do I prove the valve has stuck or failed ?

isolate the power to the heating system and valve will fall to its relaxed position HW.
the lever will then have resistance when you push it over
then let it go you'll hear it moving back to HW position.

Thanks guys. I've done as you both suggested and in either power on or off, the lever freely moves without resistance.

When on, no matter what the demand HW only, CH only or both- I cannot hear the value motor operating.

What I've also noticed is that the valve case is quite hot- I'd thought this was radiated from when the water is being pumped. However the system hasn't been asked to work since about 9am this morning.

The HW works fine.
The CH starts, but the boiler closes off with only a few rads getting any heat.
The HW + CH seems to work, but after an hour (maybe when the HW storage is full and at stat control temp) the boiler will again close.

So I guess that the unit is knackered and needs replacing. It's been in use for 16 years so it's had a fair wicket so to speak.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. I've done as you both suggested and in either power on or off, the lever freely moves without resistance.
so it's not falling to relaxed position.
When on, no matter what the demand HW only, CH only or both- I cannot hear the value motor operating.
ok
What I've also noticed is that the valve case is quite hot- I'd thought this was radiated from when the water is being pumped. However the system hasn't been asked to work since about 9am this morning.
if heating was last call the valve is being held in last position
by the motor so the motor will give off heat.
The HW works fine.
ok
The CH starts, but the boiler closes off with only a few rads getting any heat.
so the valve is moving to ch from mid position then sounds like it's dropping of the m/switch so boiler closes down.
or your loosing power on the grey.
The HW + CH seems to work, but after an hour (maybe when the HW storage is full and at stat control temp) the boiler will again close.
if ch still calling the grey wire should operate valve to ch position and boiler continue.
as said above sounds like the grey wire is not doing it's job.

Changed the valve this morning- all works fine !

Thanks for your help, I'm mostly on the electrics UK bit- shout if there's anything sparks wise that I can help with.

Rgds

Changed the valve this morning- all works fine !

Thanks for your help, I'm mostly on the electrics UK bit- shout if there's anything sparks wise that I can help with.
Rgds

my leccy bill is too high what can you do about it :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back