3 wind bracers in loft? Or is one a temporary brace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved in to a new build semi detached house. My uncle has inspected the roof space today and said he believes there's a breech in building regs up there are it appears one of the lateral wind bracers has been cut short of the partition wall.

The site manager is claiming this is just a temporary brace.

There are two other lateral wind bracings which all look fine.

Pictures below!

The site manager is getting someone to come have a look whilst at the same time is adamant it's not an actual wind brace.

Does it look like a temporary brace to anyone else?
Or have I got a dodgy third wind brace?
Confused!

(I know nothing re building!)

A few areas in the house are out of plum, and there were some other building reg failures so want to make absolutely sure it's either right or wrong!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Those timbers are bracing timbers to provide stiffness to the whole roof, so that the trusses act together. As long as they overlap across at least two trusses, that will be OK.

Doesn't matter that one appears not to reach the end truss next to the gable, but the gable/party walls should be secured back to the first three trusses with 30x6 steel straps - usually 3 or 4 up each slope.

Semi detached. Assume standard Fink Truss, overall span 8 metres or less.
Your photos are not very kind to our old eyes and your drawing is none to clear, however, it would appear that you have no wind braces at all.
Will tell you what you should have for a Fink truss.
Two number, one each side, longitudinal 22x95 across bottom chords (ceiling joists) at the bottom of the W web where they hit bottom chord..
Ditto ditto, on the inside leg of the W at the top where it hits the rafter
One number brace at the apex fitted to underside of rafters/
All braces to be fitted hard to party wall and flank wall and where joined to overlap side by side two number trusses.
Wind braces required each side. diagonally fixed to the underside and top of the centre truss down to the bottom of the last truss at the gable wall. Then reverse on other end down to party wall. So that you have two arrows running up to centre of roof
You should have restraint straps on noggins over three rafters and ceiling joists at 2000 centre at both party and gable wall.
If roof is not as described, then tell Site manager to read his Standards and that you will be contacting NHBC, that is providing you have NHBC warranty.
Hope you understand post.
Regards oldun

I thank you both kindly!

Apologies for the poor lighting and photography work, best I could do under the circumstances.

I will try and get a more powerful light and a better camera, as I would really appreciate your thoughts, the situation with the site manager is getting a bit tense.

Thanks again
Wren

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back