30 kW heat only boiler runing on a 15-50 pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What would you think if you were told that a boiler you had just fitted needed a larger pump?

Tony

Sponsored Links
I would ask why they thought that and go back and assess the size of the property and system.

Not many domestic properties need anything bigger than a 15-50 I find.

I would ask why they thought that and go back and assess the size of the property and system.

Suppose the properly really needed a 30 kW boiler??? Would you then agree that it needed a larger pump or would you accept that a 15-50 was insufficient for a 30 kW boiler?

Tony

Sponsored Links
If it really needed 30kW then I would be asking if the pipework was properly sized to distribute the heat first.

What would you think if you were told that a boiler you had just fitted needed a larger pump?

Tony

If you have the correct flow and return differential temperatures, as per the boiler manufacturers instructions, pump is adequate.

On a properly balanced system with the pipe sizes correct then I would have thought the 15-50 would cope.

Anything over 18kw load would need to be in 28mm.

It all depends on the resistance of the index circuit (the circuit that has the highest resistance due to the combination of heating load and pipe sizes and lengths). That might well be withing the capacity of a 5 metre head pump - the section of pipework carrying 30kW load might be very short before the load is split. Also a 20°K temperature drop requires much less flow than an 11°K drop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back