306 s reg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ive got a peugeot 306 1.4 petrol and im having some problems with it over heating. ive had a new radiator fitted (old one was leaking) and i decided to have the head gasket and timing belt done at the same time as the milage was just over 100,000 miles. the car came back and worked mint for a few months then drastecly started over heating again to the point the warning light on dash keeps comming on saying STOP. I drilled a hole in the thermostat to prevent this on a tempory basis but it failed to work. Any ideas??? my theaory is the water pump just wondered if there is anything else to try before or aswell?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you know for sure that it is overheating and not just the warning light telling you so? If so, under what circumstances, idling, driving steadily, driving fast or in traffic?

I think thats a bloomin' good point, Peter.
If I remember correctly, the Stop lamp comes on if any engine system is unhappy - temperature, water level, oil level, etc - so the problem may not indicate overheating problems alone.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Could be the coolant temperature switch cheep to buy easy to fit but you say water pump, why was this not changed when new timing belt fitted? it is best practice as a new belt will put water pump under great strain.

Back