32a MCB on ring final - how come it doesn't trip?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In our house (built 2014), all the downstairs sockets are on a single ring final circuit, including all the kitchen appliances (washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher, fridge-freezer, microwave etc)

My question is - there are often times (especially on a Saturday morning when laundry etc is done) when all of the high power appliances are switched on. By my estimates, the appliances discussed have the following power ratings:

Washing machine - approx 2200W max, ~9.5A
Tumble Dryer - approx 2500W max, ~11A
Dishwasher - approx 2200W max, ~9.5A
Kettle - 3000Wmax, ~13A
Microwave (combination) - 2500W max (~11A) but usually only 900W (~4A)

I am aware that the thermostatic nature of anything with a heating element means the current draw isn't constant, but by my reckoning there is the potential to be drawing 54A! Even without the microwave it could be 43A if someone puts the kettle on whilst the other three are on.

Yet in 2 years, the MCB has never tripped. Is that normal?

Cheers,

Gareth

Sponsored Links
They do not trip instantly at 32.1A

32A MCBs will never trip below (32 x 1.13) 36.16A

32A MCBs take an hour to trip at (32 x 1.45) 46.4A.
Quicker with higher loads.

Plus the chances of you managing to put your WM/TD/DW on so that they were all pulling maximum load at the same time is unlikely.

You'll probably find that when one or two are on full load, one is just spinning/rinsing etc and not actually heating.

Obviously a kettle will pull 13A for the duration of the boil but the others will vary greatly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back