3D Composite Door hinge adjusting advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have had a problematic composite door that is difficult to close.
I have included some pics of the 3d hinges below.
I thought I would try and adjust it myself but I am trying to work out what aspects adjust what bit of the door?

1711738853280.png

The hinges look like this

1711738927882.jpeg

So I understand that I use a allen key to loosen off the pictured screw that holds it in current position.
Then I have removed the caps and use a socket spanner to adjust the top or the bottom elements...

My issue is that I have been trying to adjust them and can't quite seem to close the gap.

I can't find a useful diagram that will tell me which bit needs adjusting to raise and align the top left corner of the door.
Also should I make the adjustment against all of the hinges or just the top one?
Do I need to adjust the hinge plate that fits to the frame also?

All advice most gratefully received. I am probably just being a numpty (not for the first time!!!)

Sponsored Links
Trying to move the top left hand corner of the door up...
(my crude arrow) ;)

Ok, does the gap taper from left to right from big to small, I'm guessing it probably does so if you want to close that gap up you need to move the bottom hinge to the left and the top hinge to the right, let it pivot on the centre hinge

Sponsored Links
Thanks @crank39 ... To move the bottom hinge left do I use the socket spanner on the bottom of the hinge, rather than the top. I understand lots of things but I have never seen a diagram explaining which one does what.

One at a time, loosen lower allen bolt a little, you can use a socket in the top to move it or a hex screwdiver bit holder and little ratchet OR I just use a scraper or wide screwdriver in the gap and ease the door over then lock off the allen bolt. Same for the top but ease the door to the left. If you need to lift the door up then you loosen ALL 3 bolts and get a flat bar under the door in the gap before you loosen the bolts and lift the door, I'd advise you do that first because if you adjust side to side first and get your gaps right you'll then ruin it all when you loosen all 3 to lift the door.

Once lifted you can lock the middle hinge off and then play with top and bottom hinges for your side to side movements knowing the middle hinge is supporting the door from dropping

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back