4 gang appliance switch - please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys and gals, first post here so big hello from me sorry to jump in the deep end but could anyone help with the following.

I am replacing all the sockets/switches in my kitchen to brushed stainless steel. I have managed to replace them all apart from a 4 gang switch which turns on and off my washing machine/dishwasher/cooker hood/fridgefreezer.

Does anyone know what this where i could get a replacement of this from in stainless steel? could i just use a 4 gang 2 way light switch?

thanks in advance
kev

Sponsored Links
You CANNOT replace this with a 4 gang light switch.
Light switches are generally 10 amp, and you need 20 amp switches.
Also the switches should be double pole (isolates live and neutral).

Usually you need to buy these switches in the form of a grid system where you build the switch plate yourself out of a yolk plate, a cover plate and separate 20 amp double pole switch modules.

An electrical wholesaler is the best place to go.

You may not get the same make/design as your new sockets and light switches, tho you'll find something similar.

Be wary of the 'flat' face plate ranges as the works at the back tend to stick out more, and can be a problem if the back box is not particularly deep.

Crabtree and MK are the common makes to sell grid stuff.

Before fitting, check the old switches are rated at 20 amp.

thanks for the reply, i still dont fully understand, the picture show all separate where as mine is on one unit with 4 switches

Sponsored Links
thanks for the reply, i still dont fully understand, the picture show all separate where as mine is on one unit with 4 switches

The middle accessory is a 2 gang grid switch, made up of separate parts. You need a 4 gang version.

So when you buy yours, make sure you buy a 4-gang yoke & front plate.

This is a white one, but other colours and materials are available.

MKK3634.JPG

thanks for all your replies, very quick and helpful. i will look into it more.

do you think if i could get the make and model of my existing grid i may be able to buy a new faceplate for it to save the hassle?

thanks for all your replies, very quick and helpful. i will look into it more.

do you think if i could get the make and model of my existing grid i may be able to buy a new faceplate for it to save the hassle?

Wont that still leave you with white switches?

White switches wouldn't look too bad.

OP, if you can post a photo of your switch on here someone will be able to tell you the make, and we should be able to point you in the right direction of where to buy one from.

Also, let us know what finish style you are trying to match.

i'll get a pic up asap. just need to find the cable to connect phone to laptop

the switch is approx 5 yrs old as my house was a new build when we bought it.

ideally dont want white switches but i'll have to way up the costs

this is the one

if it helps it says delta mem on the metal inside bit and mem m1488 on the white plastic face plate. neither of which i can find on the net

Are your walls really that colour? :LOL:

Why do you always find these in mass-built houses? Why do they use them? Is there some sort of cost saving?

lol, thats not the colour of my walls, they are glass splashbacks and cost a fortune.

my kitchen is gloss black and it looks amazing with the lime green :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back