5 point locking door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just moved into a property (without properly looking at the porch door) and I have noticed that the door is a 5 point looking door (I think thats its called) and even the frames are set up for it but when I lock it, it only locks the main lock and the 'hooks' dont come over.

I have opened the handle and all I can see are the two springs (one for the inside hadle and the other for the out) and 1 single bar (this is to connect both handles), and then the lock.

Is there and thing I can do to make the door so it will lock properly? Will I need a new Gearbox or a new handle? If so, where could I get these?

Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
Might be better to post a pic of the lock in situ and any noticeable wording/trademarks, would be helpful...pinenot :)

Pinenot,

I will try and upload a few pictures tonight.

JohnD,

I have already tried this but the handle will not go up. When I took the handle off, the single 'bar' would not go clockwise.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
From picture 1 it looks like you had no problem getting the handles off, can you see if the sq spindle is in good nick, no marks, rounding or anything, ditto to the spindle hole in the lock block itself. With the handles off, can you get a slotted screwdriver to throw the bolts/hooks and the lock mechanism?
I can't see any identifying logo, stamp etc. in these pics, the lock block inside the door stile may have more to identify maker...pinenot :)

Hi Pinenot,

The square spindle is in good working order, no dents or anything like that, the same goes for the spindle hole.

Looking at it, there appears to be two holes in the lock. Last night, I tried putting the spindle in both holes and tried raising the handle but neither hole would move clockwise. Thus not being able to throw the bolts/hooks over.

After taking the handles, springs and spindle off/out, I can see the lock but its not the best as there is loads of plastic in front. Is there an easy way for me to get the lock out or would that involve me taking the metal strip off on the inside of the door?

I cannot see any marks on the lock itself but then would it be better if I was to remove it?

Would more pictures help or not?

Thanks

As I hear you, the lock bolt still throws over with the key, even though the the handle doesn't operate the remote hook/bolts, that shouldn't happen. When the handle is pulled up and both remotes are thrown out, this should free the mortise lock bolt for the key to operate.

That aside, assuming you want the lock to work properly you will have to take out at least the gearbox section and replace it. Try these boys for a replacement, they offer an e'mail identification service http://www.handlesandhinges.co.uk/shootbolts-gearbox-type-window-mechanisms/ ...pinenot :)

Hi Pinenot,

I may be stupid here but its been a long day in the office!

How would I be able to operate the remote bolts if the handle is not going up?

How will I be able to remove the gearbox without damaging the door or putting my insurance at risk?

Thanks

You haven't posted a pic of the lock strip, but should be the same as others I've done...So, first unscrew the euro lock block and remove it (this is a separate piece from the lock mechanism) next unscrew the handles ( as you've done before) now remove the lock strip screws (there should be two or four smaller screws holding the gearbox to the strip, don't remove these) once the lock strip is unscrewed waggle the whole lock strip out of the door.
Look at everything as there may just be a locating pin missing, but likely you need to replace the whole unit (especially if there's an insurance issue) This is when you need to contact the guys on the link I gave you, or one of your choice. You'll need to identify the correct replacement part(s) replace reverse of the strip out...pinenot :)

Hi Pinenot,

As I need to take it out and have a look, please see a photo that I took this morning (sorry its so dark, it was taken at half 6)

Can you please advise what screws I need to take you to find what lock I need?

I am also being stupid here but how will I be able to wiggle the lock out if I cannot get to it?

Hi Pinenot,

Thanks for the reply but I am still unsure how to get the gearbox out.

I have circle the four screws that are different, then there is one in the lock (yellow) and then a completely different screw (blue) which I think holds the lock in place.

So, can you let me know (in stupid terms) how to get the gearbox out so I can use your site to get a new one.

The one you've circled blue will be the euro cylinder (key operated lock tumblers) take this out and waggle the cylinder out (whicherver works - inwards or outwards) take off the handles and lay aside. Ignore the one circled yellow. Now you need to follow this youtube video, just ignore the add(s) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWVXn8RKR8k

Good luck...pinenot :)

I have managed to get in, please see below for a pict.

The part that is circled is removeable.

Forgot to say that there is a bolt under that panel, it is smaller than the bolt in the bottom middle of my circle. This is connected to the bigger bolt by a bar which does turn

Sorry I got to take a pict of the gearbox with that panel off. Advise if you want a pict with it off.

Please advise if you can help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back