50mm x 100mm timber non-existent?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace the lower parts of a garage door frame due to rot.
The frame is 50mm x 100mm but the closet size comes in at 47mm x 100mm.
To line up the outer sides of the new frame with the old one, what is normally used that's 3mm to make up for the shortfall?
I have a bag of plastic packers, would they do or is there an accepted method?

Also, out of curiosity, why do some sellers actually advertise some timber as 50mm x 100mm but then tell you the finished size is say 47mm x 89mm in the description?

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
the actual repair will depend on the actual construction and iff the wood is on the face
you are buying rough sawn timber so if your lucky sanding will take a further 3-5mm off
try an actual wood yard where they may be able to convert timber to the size you need but at about twice the price

With a new blade in a circular saw, buy a 75x125 or similar. Ripping it down is a 10 minute job max.

Over-size by 2mm if appearance is important, and then power plane it down.

Line up the visible side, then hide the wall side with sealant bead. Shim it with plastic or wood as necessary.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
With a new blade in a circular saw, buy a 75x125 or similar. Ripping it down is a 10 minute job max.

Over-size by 2mm if appearance is important, and then power plane it down.
yes exactly what i would do but with 72 or 96 tooth blade on my dw 742 as a table saw
and rather naughty flip work/mateial without crown guard or riving knife in place so a light sand gives a great finnish or fewer teeth 1-1.5mm bigger and sanded to size

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back