5m rule for soak away?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Well the subject of soakaways seems fairly well covered but no answer to my question. I have and extension over garage for which I need to sort soak aways for. Trouble is I will if I put it 5m from my property it will always be within 5m of a neighbours house? Not sure what to do other than call the build insp. water is so expensive here I really don't ant to give them any more money. I also have an old soak away at the front which is blocked so I would improve that but I doubt it's anywhere near 5 m form the house.

Any thoughts on the 5m rule. Thanks in advance on any wisdom.

Sponsored Links
If the extension is just over the garage and is not a bigger footprint then you can carry on using the existing drainage, whatever that is. Or is that the duff soakaway?

But to answer your question technically if the soakaway cannot be sited further than 5m from yours or any other buildings (or roads too technically) then the Buiding Inspector is obliged to let you drain into the mains, which will obviously cost more, in terms of charges. But not much else you can do. Though he may take a view on things.

Hi thanks for that. Yes the size of garage did increase a little by just under 4m2. It used to be flat roof with a soak at the front and rear ( both blocked) guess I'll call then to see what they think to be sure.

On another note, does anyone know why you have to take the pitch into account when doing the soak calculations? If I have a flat roof or a pitched one generally you will collect the same amount of water. Makes sense to just measure the m2 at ground level?

Ground percolation tests may help to prove that siting the soakaway nearer to the building would not be an issue. IIRC, the standard mentions "about 5m" from a building.

You could potentially do away with gutters and have dispersal straight from the roof edge. You would need to prevent single point runs of water, and deal with splashes at ground level. Its in the detailing.

Sponsored Links
Fresh thinking appreciated! It will all be falling on gravel so that could work with the necessary preparation and will reduce splashing etc.also have marley tiles which will separate drops to two piont per tile rather than slates which could "pour" at certain points.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back