6 amp 2 gang 2 way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can see a few postings already about this, but my electrics sound completely different. the two switches should operate two lights, independently just like in the other postings but i have the following wires:
1 x red and 1x black wire coming from a grey sheath, i have another 1x red and 1x black wire coming from another grey sheath, i have a black wire on its own and i also have the whole thing earthed to the metal back casing with a yellow and green wire. the other thing i found peculiar was that i had a seperate red wire which was connected between to points in the switch itself!
the switch has 2 x common points and 2 x L2 points and 2 x L1 points.
Please can someone give me some pointers on this, thanks

Sponsored Links
What pointers do you need, and why? What are you trying to do?

Which switch terminals do these wires go to?

If it's a case of "they don't anymore", please don't say that you failed to make a note of what went where before removing them...

Is/was one of the gangs working as a 2-way switch? If so, what wires are at the other 2-way?

Ban hasn't had his happy pill yet.

What you have I suspect is a switch operating one light in the hall and the other switch operating the landing light together with the switch on the landing.

Ban is right when he said you should have made notes before you took those wires out.

You might need the services of an electrician.

Electrickery is not for the uninitiated.

im afraid i didnt make note of where the wires came from, i realised my mistake as soon as i took them out. Just clarify, you are right, one switch should indeed operate the downstairs hallway light and the other switch should operate the upstairs light. Is the only solution to call in an electrician and if so, does it mean them having to rip out the electrics to see where the wires are coming from? and disturbing the the plaster on the walls around it?

Sponsored Links
buskroth said:
im afraid i didnt make note of where the wires came from, i realised my mistake as soon as i took them out.
Breezer is on his way to slap your legs... ;)

Just clarify, you are right, one switch should indeed operate the downstairs hallway light and the other switch should operate the upstairs light. Is the only solution to call in an electrician
No - if you understand how 2-way switching works, and own a multimeter, a few simple tests will identify the wires.

and if so, does it mean them having to rip out the electrics to see where the wires are coming from? and disturbing the the plaster on the walls around it?
No, just a few simple tests.

thats great news thanks (as i have just recently decorated)! After considering it all, i think i might just call in the expert to rectify this now as i dont have a multimeter and i will probably just mess up even more. I think im gonna stick to woodwork!

thanks

Probably not, depends on how long the leads on their meter is ;)

Hmmm no earths in your grey sheaved cables ? :)

Normally landing lights operate from both upstairs and downstairs and so one would expect a 3 core plus earth to be in there somewhere. The fact that you describe 2 lots of 2 core plus earth suggests to me that maybe one of them is being used, with the (black) single core, as a surrogate 3 core plus earth. Just my guess. But a check at the other switch upstairs might help support that theory, or otherwise. Just note any further disconnections you make ;)

Trouble is, even if supported, you still need to know which of the 2 cables run to which light.

In a similar reply to another thread on here this morning, there is a difference between what I'd feel confident to try myself, and what I'd be prepared to advise another via a forum thread, but the main thing, as you suggest, is to check which cable goes where.

I don't suppose any of the black wires had red sleeving on it ? No, didn't think so :(

No, best bet if you are not confident is to call someone in. Shouldn't take them long to work it out.

---

Wow I take longer to write these posts than I thought !

Gary0 said:
Normally landing lights operate from both upstairs and downstairs and so one would expect a 3 core plus earth to be in there somewhere. The fact that you describe 2 lots of 2 core plus earth suggests to me that maybe one of them is being used, with the (black) single core, as a surrogate 3 core plus earth. Just my guess.
Have you never seen this done with T/E: ?

2way3.gif

Now you mention it, I think my late parents' place used to have that layout, before it was rewired. Been a while.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back