6 terminals on my ceramic hob?!?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to wire in my new ceramic hob (with proper 30amp cable on its own supply, etc.) but am slightly baffled to find SIX terminals on the hob. The instructions which came with the hob are not at all clear. It seems that it can be wired into a single-phase or three-phase supply. The (terrible!) diagrams refer to connections R, S and T, with no mention of L, N and E, as you'd expect. They also indicate linking (maybe?) of some of the terminals (numbered 1 to 6). There are some loose U-shaped brass-coloured linking-type things in the connection box, which are presumably for this purpose, although they do not seem to actually fit into any part of the connections.

The hob is a cheap-ish 4 ring job, nothing bizarre or outlandish. Any suggestions would be most appreciated! There is a helpline number on the back of the instruction book, but I've....erm.....lost it. Oops. :oops:

Sponsored Links
hellopaul said:
I'm about to wire in my new ceramic hob (with proper 30amp cable on its own supply, etc.) but am slightly baffled to find SIX terminals on the hob. The instructions which came with the hob are not at all clear. It seems that it can be wired into a single-phase or three-phase supply. The (terrible!) diagrams refer to connections R, S and T, with no mention of L, N and E, as you'd expect.
I bet I'd expect R, S & T if I was a native of the country where the hob was made, and those were the first letters of my words for Live, Neutral & Earth...

E.g. Réseau is the French word for Phase, and Terre is of course Earth. But AFAIK, Neutre is their word for Neutral, not something beginning with S....

Do any of the terminals also have the standard symbol for earth on them?

Do you have a multimeter? You should be able to measure a low resistance between the live & neutral terminals and a high resistance between either of those and earth.

They also indicate linking (maybe?) of some of the terminals (numbered 1 to 6). There are some loose U-shaped brass-coloured linking-type things in the connection box, which are presumably for this purpose, although they do not seem to actually fit into any part of the connections.
That would make sense - I expect half the hob runs from one set of terminals and the other from the other. It's done this way so that you can use 2 "normal" circuits instead of a beefy cooker circuit if you want. Odd that the links don't obviously fit somewhere if you do want a single circuit though.

The hob is a cheap-ish 4 ring job, nothing bizarre or outlandish. Any suggestions would be most appreciated! There is a helpline number on the back of the instruction book, but I've....erm.....lost it. Oops. :oops:
You must know where you bought it, or who makes it.

Also, try the Outside UK forum - someone might recognise R,S,T.

:p Thank you both for your replies, especially ban-all-sheds. I checked the terminals using my multimeter and worked out which is which. Happily, I found the instructions with the cryptic diagram, and combined with the resistance checks worked out what goes where. I've still no idea what R,S and T stand for, but I've wired it up (It's fun trying to get 30-amp cable into those pathetic holes!) and it all works beautifully.

Thanks again! :D

Sponsored Links
....The EU! That's all it says. :confused: "Made in the EU". How informative. Although the glass is 'Euro Kera' (or something) which (according to an internet search) is probably made in France.

We had our first bacon & eggs the other day. :p

Once again, thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back