60's wiring/ CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 60's style fuse box is to be upgraded to a CU but the light switches are not earthed in the house(the house was built in the 60's), yes I know I need a re-wire, but at the minute a new CU is it untill next year, will the sparks who is doing the job have any problem with the switches not being earth when the new CU is fitted, cheers

Sponsored Links
Mazda said:
My 60's style fuse box is to be upgraded to a CU but the light switches are not earthed in the house(the house was built in the 60's), yes I know I need a re-wire, but at the minute a new CU is it untill next year, will the sparks who is doing the job have any problem with the switches not being earth when the new CU is fitted, cheers

Yes, the cpc (earth) continuity test will fail and your electrical inspection certificate will list the fault as "requires urgent attention" and have a summary of "unsatisfactory".

If none of your light fittings require an earth and you have only plastic switches (no metal), you may be able to convince your sparky that the fault should be listed as "requires improvement" - afterall, it used to be standard practice.

Michael, thanks for your quick reply this was picked up at the survey we had done when we bought the house two months ago, the switches in the house are plastic with just the black and red wires connected in the back of the light switch, so I suppose the urgent attention means a re-wire/.

pretty much

a couple of tips

1: don't get an niceic guy they can be (understandablly) very picky about the wiring regs
2: make sure the sparky understands beforehand that you know there are major problems and that you just want the CU change done for now and is prepared to do the CU change without doing the other work

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help lads it is taken on board, cheers

Lots of equipment nowadays relies upon 'double insulation' rather than earthing for the users safety. I don't know, but I imagine the reasoning behind the cables not having an earth in the first place was that it was unnecessary.

Times change, but don't get too hung up about it. It becomes important when you connect something made of metal, either switch or lamp.

Why the urge to change just the CU now, rather than have the whole installation sorted in one go?

Now here's a thought. What do you reckon to the relative safety of using an RCD for the lighting circuit rather than going to the agravation of ripping up the house to change all the wires?

I think it would be a very reasonable compromise.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back