6amp Garage circuit upgrade - can't run power tools

No idea regarding cost (I'm not a sparky) but I think you are in the right ball park. The small consumer unit doesn't need an RCD so £30 ish. Half a day for an electrician to fit and test I guess £100 ish.

Sponsored Links
There is no need for a consumer unit in the garage, and I have no idea why everyone seems so obsessed with them.

Assuming the SWA is big enought, which hasn't yet been determined, then just use the SWA to feed straight into the sockets, and supply a couple of FCUs off the sockets. One for lights and one for the garage door opener.

There's no point over complicating things just for the sake of it.

If the house is new, there should be documents/certificates for the electrical installation, does this tell you any releveant information for this circuit to the garage.
We are hoping the cable is of a size that can carry about 16Amps safely, allowing for voltage drop. Then it's a small/simply alteration! Either by FCU's or a small garage CU.
I'm surprised it was not done correctly, when the house was under construction.
But you really do need an electrician, he will need to be registered with domestic installers scheme or a notification to building controls will be needed.
http://www.competentperson.co.uk/

There is no need for a consumer unit in the garage, and I have no idea why everyone seems so obsessed with them.

Reading back you are probably right. My own garage is detached and big enough to use as a workshop so I had a CU fitted. If the OP just needs one 13A socket then I agree: Get an electrician in to rewire the fused switch so it is just for the lights and connect the socket to the incoming garage supply.

Sponsored Links
If the house is brand new then you should be complaining to the builder - running a 13A socket for general use from a 6A MCB is not good or standard practice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back