6KW hob... not cable sizing but as good as!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello and thanks to all that reply,

I'm sure you've heard it before but this really is a story about a friend!!

He's just redone his kitchen and had a rewire. the lecky has wired a socket for the connection of a hob from the ring main. However, the hob ,possibly unknown to the lecky, is a ceramic glass hob (whatever that is) and is rated at 6Kw.

by my best calcs 6000/230 is 26A.

Can diversity be applied to this? if so whats the equation?

26A seems too much to be a possible demand on a 13amp plug.

cheers!

Sponsored Links
The electrician must have been told, or at least incorrectly assumed, a gas hob and he's just put a supply in for the ignition.

He's just redone his kitchen and had a rewire. the lecky has wired a socket for the connection of a hob from the ring main.
There are no electric hobs suitable for connection in this way (other than single plate portable units).

However, the hob ,possibly unknown to the lecky, is a ceramic glass hob (whatever that is)
A piece of equipment designed for looks rather than functionality. Until that is, someone uses it and a pan boils over, after which the surface is ruined. They are not 'easy clean' despite what the manufacturers might claim.

26A seems too much to be a possible demand on a 13amp plug.
It is, and diversity is not relevant here. At best, the hob will just blow the fuse in the plug every time it is used. Or worse, the cables will overheat and cause a fire.

Sponsored Links
Flameport you have obviously not found "hobrite",
Our ceramic is as clean as the day I fitted it near 9 years ago!
But to the OP, no you can't plug it in, it must have a dedicated radial circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back