7x5 Shed Base Help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a 7x5 foot shed arriving in a few days and need to get a base ready. I have got a load of 600x600 slabs but I need to make a base for them. A friend has said I need to get some builders sand and cement for a dry mix? I have an MKM up the road from me. Can anyone tell me what I need to get please there are so many types of sand, gravel and cement and I don't have a clue what to get or how much. I would be very grateful if anyone could give me some advice and quantities of what I need to buy. I currently have grass that I need to dig out. How deep do I need to dig out for the sand and cement? Do I mix the sand and cement? 1 layer of sand then cement on top? Thanks guys. Matt

Sponsored Links
My 7x5 shed over the allotment is on paving slabs. I just scraped a couple of inches of top soil away and put a 3” dry mix bed of sharp sand and cement. I think I used 8 bags of sand and bought two of cement but didn’t even use one whole bag. I just added half a shovelful of cement to a bag of sand and mixed it up dry. The moisture in the ground will set it off eventually. My shed at home is on 600 x 600 slabs and that is just on a bed of builders sand only. It’s been fine for the 10 years or so that I’ve had it. Some plot holders over my allotment have their sheds on slabs laid directly on the soil. Don’t over think it - it’s not like you are laying a foundation for a three storey house to sit on. One thing I will say that will destroy your shed more than anything else is rain splash from the roof so make sure you fit a gutter to it.

My 7x5 shed over the allotment is on paving slabs. I just scraped a couple of inches of top soil away and put a 3” dry mix bed of sharp sand and cement. I think I used 8 bags of sand and bought two of cement but didn’t even use one whole bag. I just added half a shovelful of cement to a bag of sand and mixed it up dry. The moisture in the ground will set it off eventually. My shed at home is on 600 x 600 slabs and that is just on a bed of builders sand only. It’s been fine for the 10 years or so that I’ve had it. Some plot holders over my allotment have their sheds on slabs laid directly on the soil. Don’t over think it - it’s not like you are laying a foundation for a three storey house to sit on. One thing I will say that will destroy your shed more than anything else is rain splash from the roof so make sure you fit a gutter to it.
Thanks for your help with this you're probably right I am over thinking it. We moved into this house about a month ago and it is going to be our forever home so I just want it to be done right and last. Is there any particular cement? Would this be ok ?https://mkm.com/product/hanson-general-purpose-opc-ordinary-portland-cement-25kg-b012784

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back