85mm cavity can you use 100 mm cavity lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm after some peace of mind please, my builder had used a cg 90 lintel in our 85mm cavitys will this be ok? I'm told the lintel width is 88mm will this be a problem and help would be appreciated please

Thankyou

Sponsored Links
So long as there is no interference from the front lip (outer leaf) then you will use a size that is suitable.

It may be possible to position the lintel so that it is biased towards the inner leaf, though this may mean cutting the first course of blocks over the lintel in order to make them fit.

It is quite common to use an in between lintel cavity size as manufacturers can only produce commonly used generic sizes. A builder would typically go for a size smaller than the cavity to avoid cutting blocks, giving the masonry a slight overhang rather than the lintel overhanging the masonry.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back