8m steel beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm busy thinking over an extension for the rear of the house and reviewing a number of challenges which would need to be overcome.

The main issue is that there is very little access to the rear of the property, let alone sufficient to swing an 8m steel to keep up the rear of the first floor in order to open up the rear.

The question therefore is, I know it's possible to splice a connection, however is it feasible to splice into 3 sections, this making it easier to get into position and maneuver?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It's easy, and you are much better off splicing away from the centre of the beam.

At eight metres long you will almost certainly need steel columns or large piers, and also new pad footings.

OP,
you give very little detail and no photos of what is existing?

There are a number of ways to do what you propose including some ingenious methods worked out by builders and SE's.

Eventually BCO will require SE's calcs and maybe a design - so why not now contact a SE and get a head start?

Sponsored Links
You really need an 8m opening? Apart from the length being tricky, the depth would also be huge hence also the weight.
Our 5.7m opening we were basically recommended by the architect and structural engineer to put a pillar in the noodle four both cost and size of downstage reasons.
Having said that I remember on here someone did a diy loft conversion and spanned over 10m with a huge beam each side, each in about 6 pieces.

However to meet your requirements for cost and other things you need to talk to an se.

Oh yes that's the one! 10m in 5 sections actually. Thanks for finding it roganty!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back