8mm and 10mm pipe on same system .??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the middle of renovating my bathroom ,including replacing the CH rad .I have just discovered that ,while I have always thought that the system was on 10mm pipe ,it is actually a mix of 10mm and 8mm .Is there any logical reason why this would have been done that way or could it just have been that the person(s) who installed it ran out of one size so used the other .?

Sponsored Links
The different size of pipe is for different loads on the system. If a 600x600 rad needs x amount of heat an 8mm pipe will heat it fine but if it was a 600 x 1600 k2 you would need 10mm at least to allow enough water into it to to heat it up enough to warm the room. All to do with heat requirements, bigger pipe more water more heat.

Ah...I se. The bathroom has always been the coldest part of the flat . The rad was 600 x 1100 and will now be 600 x 1200 but it's one of the ones in 8mm so maybe I should think of changing the piping to it if it remains cold ..

I take it that you mean a single panel 600x1200. You could change it for a 600x600 double panel for the same output but saving a good bit of space.
The 600x600 double would run on 8mm copper as long as it was reasonably close to the main runs/manifolds, say 5-7meters.

Sponsored Links
Well I've just bought the 600 x 1200 ( and yes it and the old one are/were singles) ...space isnt really an issue . The rad is about 5 1/2---6 metres from the manifolds .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back