9 degree pitched roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise what is best for a roof with 9 degree pitch? I am getting leak after leak! It has had welsh slate with 75mm overlap on it since built 20 years ago. Building control passed it then but insurers would not pay when damaged. I believe felt would be a cheaper and more cheerful remedy than anything else. :cry:

Sponsored Links
3 layer felt, epdm or grp, all much of a muchness and will last 20 years if done by a good contractor.

Edpm pretty easy to diy apparently. Get a kit online.

Slate should never have been laid on that roof BC approval or not.

Consider (maybe) selling the slates.

There is no such thing as a 9 degree 'pitched' roof.

What you have is a flat roof with a steep fall and it should be weathered in a such.

Building control would not have (knowingly) passed a roof as shallow as 9 degrees if they were aware it was to be tiled in slates.

Regardless, your insurers are right to be suspicious and reluctant.

Sponsored Links
Correct 9 deg to low for slate roof .Can you raise the height to give you 15/20 d there is a system called ondutile from Onduline that would solve the problem .Basically it is a system that would go below the slate so thr slate become purely for aesthetic value with ondutile providing the water tightness .It depends on if you still want the slate covering :D

Never scrimp on the roof, you'll regret it in the long run.

Zinc isn't as expensive as people believe and with a lifetime guarantee it's one less thing to worry about.

Thanks to freddymercurystwin, hardmetalking and to slateroof for all of your good advice. I can say that its more about what we can get for our money as opposed to the aesthetic qualities. The area in question is only 50m2 and over a smallish extension from the main house. I want it to be done right but, on a budget. Needs must. However it will have to be covered by our insurers and passed 'again' by bc! I have not had the chance to price zinc or ondutiles yet but selling the existing slates had come to mind! Thanks to positive respondants. Screwthenut. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back