A bit of a how much question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently in the process of having quoates from contractors to refurbish my kitchen.

Size is approx 4mx3m

Needs a full strip. Full rewire including new consumer unit

Replaster and fit new kitchen.

Going for a very basic kitchen as likely not a final home for us. Only itegration needs to be oven, hob and hood. And tiled floor

We have set aside 15-20k for the project and wanted to generally ask if we are even being realistic

I appreciate any comments its the first project of this size we are having and naturally very nervous about it

Sponsored Links
I'd say much less real cost. Get a good builder to do it all (obviously he will contract out the electrics and plumbing). Kitchen fitting should come up much cheaper.
I had a new kitchen built this year. Not sure what the actual cost was, but units and sink was about £1600, fitting around £600, worktops £150, extractor hood £130. I kept all same white goods. Electrics probably about £750 (had heat detector too), plumber, not sure as also did other new rooms, but maybe £1000 for the gas and water (I had new radiator too). A plasterer quoted £650 for a bedroom, I ended up paying about £800 for that ... probably similar for kitchen, flooring, maybe £1500 for tiles? (I had cheap vinyl for £500). This is a 7m by 2.7m kitchen. £1000 for oven and hob and unit? So about £7500 so far. But that does not include stripping out old (a days work for a couple of guys, £300). Skip another £200. So... about £8500?

Of course, if you go to any kitchen shop, their prices start at £10,000 before they even mention the trades.

We had a cheapish kitchen from Benchmarx - looks lovely though. I bought my worktops from Amazon (cheapest I could find at the time). We didn't bother with wall units, I'm putting shelves up. wall units were an extra £300 I think.

My kitchen ... more in there now - have large corner unit, tall display cabinet and a small corner unit there now, and will put in a range cooker when I find some more money. So, if you are planning to move, think about fewer fitted units and more free standing cabinets etc. Free standing cooker may be a better option too, although you need to remember the £100ish cost of disconnecting it again.

IMG_20181004_193606603.jpg

, but units and sink was about £1600, fitting around £600
Is there some more kitchen behind you, as that seems like a hell of a lot for 3 units and an end panel.

It's easy enough to do for that amount but it's also easy enough to spend 40k too. Kitchens particularly have huge variability depending on your tastes for fit and finish.

Do you intend to do anything yourself, or manage the trades, or are you after a single lead contractor to deliver a turn-key extension built in a short timescale?

Sponsored Links
It's easy enough to do for that amount but it's also easy enough to spend 40k too. Kitchens particularly have huge variability depending on your tastes for fit and finish.

Do you intend to do anything yourself, or manage the trades, or are you after a single lead contractor to deliver a turn-key extension built in a short timescale?

Its not an extension and there is no structural work involved. Due to my time commitments i want to stay realistic and have one contractor.

I know kitchens can vary in cost but we are want to keep it fairly basic rather than hqving an all singing and dancing.

Is there some more kitchen behind you, as that seems like a hell of a lot for 3 units and an end panel.

5 units, sink and tap, 5 end panels. We didn't get the cheapest, about range 2 i think. Drawer unit and sink added a fair bit i think.

Its not an extension and there is no structural work involved. Due to my time commitments i want to stay realistic and have one contractor.

I know kitchens can vary in cost but we are want to keep it fairly basic rather than hqving an all singing and dancing.

The jobs sounds suitable for a chippie that can do kitchens and can sort out the other trades, plasterers, sparkies etc. I wouldnt go to a builder for it, or a kitchen studio -itll end all being subbed out. A chippie will be a able to get prices from Howdens or benchmarx -they dont usually give prices to retail customers ( or if they do its a marked up price that a trademan would get 60% off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back