a bit of a mess with the plastering...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello

my dad and i are learning the art of plastering. we (or rather my dad) have been doing pretty well.

however, we skimmed a new wall on Sunday. The wall we had boarded over with fresh plasterboard, onto which we skimmed. It was VERY hot on Sunday, and the plaster seemed to go off very quickly. As a result, when it came to smoothing it with the later stages, we didn't do very well.

Result: very unsmooth wall.

Question is - do we need to replaster this from scratch? Ie, 2 coats, dry trowel/wet trowel/etc/etc, or can we skip straight to a second coat and go from there?

And any tips for avoiding this happening again in hot conditions - should we just be avoiding skimming in hot weather?

Cheers

Dasha

Sponsored Links
Hi,

How big is the area you are trying to Plaster? What type of Plaster are you using?

You should really 2 coat depending on how big the hollows are?!

You will need to PVA the area to kill the suction and prevent cracking, 1 part PVA to 3 parts Water, leave for around 3 hours then apply another coat of PVA 2 parts Water to 1 PVA and wait for the PVA to go tacky (10 - 15 mins) this will give you more working time, if you are inexperienced then it is best to wait till the coolest part of the day.

Hope this helps?

thanks

the wall is about 5m long and a couple high. we are using multi-finish i think.

thanks for the PVA advice!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back