A brief summation of No 10's attempts to stay in the EU

Sponsored Links
Very interesting all this ancient history regards the pound v's the dollar. Quite irrelevant.

As JD pointed out, there was a huge drop in value when it was announced we intended pulling out of the EU. Couple this with the nervousness felt by important economic trading partners and it looks like a very uncertain future for the UK.

Hilarious how the Brexit camp are trumpeting "no changes here" when we actually haven't left yet. In fact things are exactly the same as they were (in terms of trade agreements etc) as before the announcement. So it's hardly a surprise.

I suggest the outers start blowing their horns when the shoite really hits the fan. I'm guessing that will be when the UK realises that they will have to agree to everything the EU commission demands of us i.e. that we maintain our immigration (borders) policy as it was before Brexit or lose all privileges.

Can anyone explain what benefits we will have in REAL terms once we actually leave? Apart from bent bananas.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
there was a huge drop in value when it was announced we intended pulling out of the EU.

The pound has been over-valued for a considerable time, and would eventually have fallen to this level. This is due to a basic imbalance in the economy and is nothing to do with Brexit.

Life isn't just about more money and ever bigger economy - unless you swallow every line that governments want you to. There are other important considerations, like what sort of county you want to live in and bequeath to future generations.

Choice between smaller economy or handing over control of our country and borders to the Krauts: smaller economy every time.

Good point Woodbine about the money. However, I don't think the UK is without it's merits, I think it has a lot to offer and no way are we going to collapse just because we left the EU. There's bound to be hiccups while everything gets sorted, natural and to be expected. Shouting out the falling pound is silly, I wouldn't have expected anything else. BUT it doesn't mean that it stays that way forever more.

I voted remain, but chatting to my pop who voted leave said he just didn't like that a bunch of strangers making so many rules for the UK and not always with the UK's interest at heart. It's difficult to argue with that.

If it had stayed as a trading arrangement, as the EEC was originally promised, I would be all in favour of remaining. However, it morphed into something that invades and affects all our lives.

The 'project fear' was a typical politicians' ploy. Give you something to be very fearful of, then encourage you to stick with them and their policies - as it's the only way to avoid the fears that they have now put in your head.

The pound has been over-valued for a considerable time, and would eventually have fallen to this level. This is due to a basic imbalance in the economy and is nothing to do with Brexit.
Just coincidence it occurred at the same time the result was announced then.

Just coincidence it occurred at the same time the result was announced then.
The immediate fall was the result of the Ref. but in the medium term, the £ would have fallen anyway. The economy has for too long been skewed towards financial services and consumer spending, and too little on manufacturing. Eventually, the bubble would have to burst, so best get it over and done with now.

The immediate fall was the result of the Ref.
More correctly, speculation that the pound would fall causing it to fall.
Don't forget the pound collapsed after the third result was announced.

but in the medium term, the £ would have fallen anyway.
You must be very wealthy playing the financial markets.

The economy has for too long been skewed towards financial services and consumer spending, and too little on manufacturing.
Nothing happened on June 24th (after midnight 23rd) other than the third result caused the speculators to sell pounds.
It must be time for them to buy them back and make another fortune.

Eventually, the bubble would have to burst, so best get it over and done with now.
What bubble?

Maybe had the government done its job properly and prepared for a possible Leave vote, the markets would not have reacted so violently.

That's not what the Quitters wanted. To do that, you would have to prepare a manifesto of rUKs desired position, and asked the electorate to vote on it.

That would require the Quitters to agree among themselves some workable and clearly articulated proposals.

Which is impossible.

You can't even get the Quitters to say which of the available trade options they want.

So the vote was on slogans. No proposals. No policies. No plan.

Sponsored Links
Back