A couple of questions about cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone

A couple of things I have often thought about

1) Now that 1.5mm cable is normally used for lighting, but 1.0mm used to be used, if as an electrician you go to a domestic property to add an extra light and switch by breaking in to the lighting circuit, what size would you use if the existing circuit is in 1.0mm?

2) When talking about cable sizes how did one used to pronounce it? e.g for 2.5mm people often say "two point five mill", how did it used to be said for example if asking for 7/.029?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
1 - whatever size was on the van :) but as you say 1.5 is common now so use that..

2 - seven ohh twenty nine...

1) 1mm if I've got it... 1.5mm² if not

2) Dunno, coljack is probably right though, but saying "two point five mill twin and earth" gets tiresome quickly, its normally "two, five, twin"

Sponsored Links
Not maybe correct but triple and earth is normal 1mm and twin and earth 1.5mm and we have mixed and matched for years.

As to old cables I was frowned at when I asked for 27/0.012 and we tended to call it 6 amp 12 amp etc. Or simply "Some of that".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back