a few questions about outdoor lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

i would like to get an outside mains light, fixed to the back of the house, to illuminate the porch. also we have a dining area at the end of the garden (60ft) which we'd like to have a few low wattage lights. i bought some of these to get us started and they have a transformer and 13amp mains plug.

so, in my diy book it says the way to get a outside light is to take wires from the ceiling rose (this means taking up carpet and floorboards) then chasing the cable down the wall (this means renting a chasing tool and a bit of plastering).

is there an easier way to do this? i'm not great at at diy but i think i can manage this, but it does sound alot of upheaval.

what's a good way to use my outside lights with the transformer? is it best just to plug them in to a dining room socket when needed or is there more of a proffessional set-up. perhaps if i have to do the above process for the main light i could incorperate these too on a 2 channel switch.

also what's the best way to keep my options open for future garden lights. i probably won't need a full power light at the end of the garden but i probably will need to add a few small ones.

cheers

Sponsored Links
If it has a 13 amp plug attached then it's designed to be plugged into the mains not wired in directly. I've a few outdoor lights some with indoor (and some with outdoor) transformers. I prefer the outdoor transformers as it keeps the plug socket area tidy.

I run a set of outdoor lights from my dining room into the garden (lights came with a 30metre cable) straight from the dining room 13amp socket but always use an RCD on any outdoor powered lights/tools.

Cheers

thanks mate.

an rcd is a type of fuse box isn't it? i'll check.

so you just have a few plugs and transformers powering everything. it's nice and easy but don't you find all the plugs and wires a bit messy?

anyone know a good solution to my main light? do i need to do all that work or can i just plug it in too? or is there some other more permenent solution?

cheers

So you just have a few plugs and transformers powering everything. it's nice and easy but don't you find all the plugs and wires a bit messy

anyone know a good solution to my main light? do i need to do all that work or can i just plug it in too? or is there some other more permenent solution?

It's not really messy Jack, for the back garden I've an outdoor transformer on one set of lights (so only the plug to the mains on the inside) and another set runs from the conservatory with an indoor transformer which is hidden behind a chair so we don't see it but I agree it could look messy depending on where your plug points are located.

You could run a light from the mains plug (you do it with 5 amp table lamps all the time) but you'll need to ensure it's connected correctly and safe. You could always run along to your nearest B&Q and explain what you want to do. They usually have an expert in each area and can advise on the correct and safest method along with advising on what you'll need.

Sponsored Links
Which country do you live in H J?
If you are in England or Wales are you aware of the building regulations regarding this type of work? Are the lights you brought a pre-fabricated set with plug/socket connectors bearing a CE mark? An RCD in this instance will only protect the 240v cable up to the transformer, it is very unlikely to be needed.

Halloween Jack said:
hi all,

i would like to get an outside mains light, fixed to the back of the house, to illuminate the porch.

This is non-notifiable provided you're not adding ccts and there are no exposed connections. But you do have to get the power from somewhere. A ceiling rose gives you access to the lighting loop, so is one way of getting the power. A 3A fused spur from a socket is another, but almost all ways require a bit of disruption to the house to carry out.

thanks guys. that gives me a few options. i'll stick to plugging in the low wattage transformer lights. still not sure about the mains light, but i've got a few options.

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back