A few questions...

Sponsored Links
well what will the customer have to show that the works have been carried out and tested and therefore now comply?

The company that tested it originally (incidentally, the company that laid me off) will be going back to re-test and certificate. My dad runs a house-letting business, this is one of the houses. I'll do the remedials for less than half the price of what they quoted.

Sponsored Links
Glad to have your blessing.

Feels good taking work off a place that made you redundant.

half price electrics are putting genuine traders out of work, bigger companies are also suffering and having to lay people off :rolleyes:

half price electrics are putting genuine traders out of work, bigger companies are also suffering and having to lay people off :rolleyes:

What goes around comes around - if they hadn't laid me off to start with then I wouldn't be undercutting them on a job on a big contract which I got them in the first place (never mind the fact that theyve been overcharging my dad for years).

:rolleyes:

so the company are willing to test and certify your work although you are severely undercutting them. What insite do you have that the firm you were working for were overcharging??

so the company are willing to test and certify your work although you are severely undercutting them. What insite do you have that the firm you were working for were overcharging??

If not, we'll get somebody else there to test it.

They overcharge everyone. The boss agreed with my dad when they first took on the contract that after a while they'd negotiate a lower price but now they refuse, and my dad's put a few tens of thousands pounds worth of business his way. That's got nothing to do with me though.

Just to get this straight.

You hve been asked to carry out remedial work, but don't know what is required.

You are an electricain, but you don't have a copy of the regs as they are too expensive.

You don't have test equipment, but your old employer will either lend you a set, or come and test for you. This is after you have undercut him.

The only reason you can work so cheap is you are a cowboy. :rolleyes:

Just to get this straight.

You hve been asked to carry out remedial work, but don't know what is required.

You are an electricain, but you don't have a copy of the regs as they are too expensive.

You don't have test equipment, but your old employer will either lend you a set, or come and test for you. This is after you have undercut him.

The only reason you can work so cheap is you are a cowboy. :rolleyes:

That's why im asking.

Yes, and as im planning on going to Australia for a year asap, buying a set of regs to consult for (hopefully) less than 6 weeks would be a waste of money, and wasting money is something i am trying to avoid (what with going to Australia for a year)

We'll be getting someone else to sign it off.

Not a cowboy in the slightest I take pride in my work and do the best job that I can. However, after spending an entire apprenticeship doing either aeriels or housebashing out council houses I have very limited abilities in the testing/inspection side of things and, as a result, don't fully understand the remedials list. That is the trouble with working for a company with a seperate testing section who don't even go to the same yard as the rest of the sparkies.

And I'm not working particularly cheap either but undercutting a company that not only are ripoff merchants but overcharge my own dad is not something I'm going to feel guilty about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back