"a good synthetic brush" & best W/B gloss?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having bother with satin (or maybe it's the fact it's water based that's causing the problems?) & what i've read, amongst other things is to use a "good synthetic brush", but nothing ever elaborates on this.

I just used a brush that was labelled as a gloss brush from Wilkinsons. Good or not? I don't know. Cost me about £3.

So what is a "good synthetic brush"?

Also, what's the best water based gloss out there?

From googling this, it seems to come to the Dulux Trade Eco stuff & the Johnstones Aqua stuff, but is one better than the other? I don't know.

The Mrs wants the stairs & some other things done in gloss, but doesn't want the yellowing of solvent based - so we're going to try the water based approach but wondered whether to lump for Dulux or Johnstones.

Sponsored Links
The aqua is the best of a bad lot, use the undercoat as well. Purdy monarch elite, Corona knight, picasso and purdy sprig are all good in water based. Damp the brush first and clean regularly during working time.

Really? The dulux Eco trade stuff isn't even that good?

I've seen people who say they paint for a living on forums rate some of this water based gloss. The one thing I couldn't find though was what they considered to be the top water based gloss product.

I 'paint for a living' and the aqua is about the best. I use the bad lot reference because compared to OB gloss they are difficult to work with and will be particularly awkward for the average diyer. I don't know about the dulux (although most reviews i have read are not that encouraging), but most of their products are poor these days and they lead the field in nothing.
Satin is easier to use if you don't mind a less shiny finish. Thankfully gloss is not really on trend at the moment.

Sponsored Links
In what way is satin easier to use?

The satin i've been using at the moment (Crown satin) has been a nightmare. I don't know if it's because it's water based & not oil based, but it's taken so long & used way too much paint to do just a small amount. The paint bunches up (best way i can describe), leaves bits behind & drags way too easily. Dries too quick too which doesn't help.

I did a small windowsill which was easier, but doing a (approx) 3ft-x-1ft piece was bad. As i'd done 1 bit & tried moving on to the next section down, i inevitably went into the bit i'd just done & it caused bad dragging marks.

You've got to improve your speed and technique, there's plenty of info on here and other forums but basically the satin levels out easier, the main trick is to apply the paint, lay it off once and leave it. I've used crown satin and found it ok.

Yeah i did think it was probably speed & technique. Likely moreso speed i reckon.

I found it worked better by using more paint. I'd dab a load on, work it across & then with the grain & get to a level. I'd then move down a patch & as i'd get this patch to 'join in' with the end of the patch i'd just done, i'd have to touch it, but then this could start to lift the paint as it was drying so quick.

dampen the area you're painting down very slightly, when you've laid off a piece start just below it, work it into previous piece and then away from it and lay off and repeat, don't work up toward the bit you've just done as it will have dried too much.

Thanks. That's one approach i've not tried yet - dampening the area down.

One bit i don't get about what you said...

when you've laid off a piece start just below it, work it into previous piece and then away from it and lay off and repeat, don't work up toward the bit you've just done as it will have dried too much.

Now i'm clearly having a dim moment as i know you'll know what you're on about, but to tell you what i read when i read your post there...

Start below the section i've just done. Run the brush up to the previous bit so that it's meeting, however don't run the brush up to the previous bit. (& that's the bit that doesn't make sense to me). What's the difference between working it into & working it up towards? They seem the same thing to me??

No offence. I just need it spelling out a bit more....simpler :oops:

What i mean is don't start say 12-18 inches away from the bit you've just done and work towards it because it will have dried too much to lay off.

TBH diyers are having so much trouble with acrylics, i think half the time you'd be better off using oil based and re-decorating more regularly

If you can't handle satin you haven't got a hope with gloss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back