A little Cyprus background.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From The Telegraph newspaper. 16 Jan 2008 :oops:
Pensioners who are fed up with Britain's high taxes and miserable weather can escape both without leaving the European Union by moving to an English-speaking country with a flat rate of income tax at 5 per cent or annual allowances of more than £14,600 tax-free. Better still, savers who have retired can receive interest from bank deposits and sharholdings entirely free of income tax - and inheritance tax has been abolished on this Mediterranean island.

Cyprus, which joined the EU in 2004, is setting itself up as something of tax haven for people of with a wide range of incomes - not just millionaires. Better still, the favourable treatment of pensioners is not age-related. It applies to anyone in receipt of pension income - and so it includes those who have taken early retirement...

http://tinyurl.com/yd7kuee

-0-

Sponsored Links
not much in the way of tax

the government was unable to bale out the banks from its own resources.

Could there possibly be a connection?

Sponsored Links
Easy way round it. Keep yer money in a British bank. Whenever I've been to Cyprus the cash machines accept my bank card. (or can't ya do that if you actually live there? )

not much in the way of tax

the government was unable to bale out the banks from its own resources.

Could there possibly be a connection?

Not really.

Government tax doesn't end up sitting in some account ready for such bailouts, it just goes on expenditure. So whether taxes are 5% or 40%, it's being spent on something.

What matters is their ability to borrow, and that is based off their economy, and their economy is..............?

Hard to blame them, I can see this happening here too.

Sponsored Links
Back